Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French in the classroom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: French in the classroom Reply with quote

Hello all,
Something is bothering me. Still trying to get my funding for the CELTA, I�m taking part in an evaluation en milieu de travail to document that TEFL would interest me as a career. The courses I�m observing consist of all adults, mixed levels, from true beginners to advanced. What seems strange is that at least half the class is carried out in French. In all the foreign language classes I�ve participated in, instruction has always been in the language being taught. That is, the instructor only broke down and used English when they were utterly disgusted that we weren�t getting something, and only as a last resort. Same goes for my French class here in France, all in French. She resists using her English to explain things, and only does so when exasperated.

So, how much French do you usually use in the class? Is what I�m seeing the norm? It just struck me as odd, and I would like to know if it really is or if it�s just me.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: French in the classroom Reply with quote

I never use French in class, but I happily use French with students ioutside class.

However many of my French colleagues seem to use French the majority of the time in the classroom.
They use English only when quoting or correcting an exercise.

They all state that it is better to use English only and then continue to speak French with their students.

I have also had many colleagues who are terribly embarassed and threatened by having a 'native speaker' colleague.

Strange ?
ketama

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they are a native speaker! That's why it seemed so strange.
Mideatoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: French in the classroom Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
......I have also had many colleagues who are terribly embarassed and threatened by having a 'native speaker' colleague. Strange ?

Not at all. Some of us are experiencing the same problem here in China, and it is very disappointing trust me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: