Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lithuania

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcoml

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Lithuania Reply with quote

Has anybody had any luck teaching in Lithuania ? If so how did you find the job and what were the conditions like.
pigletto78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Lithuania Reply with quote

There are a number of schools:
Check out:
www.ilsvilnius.lt - they only hire native speakers with qualifications and prefer EU citizens because the bureaucracy is touch on non-EU folk. The best conditions in town

www.sih.lt
salary, flat reputible, but the Director is 'difficult'
The schools below pay by the hour, but give less benefits
www.ames.lt

www.kalba.lt
www.ef.lt
http://www.vikc.lt

these are all in vilnius, but there are AMES schools all over and THe English Centre in Klaipeda is well-established.

get CELTA and you'll be treated well. Vilnius is a great place to be.

hope it helps
malcoml

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you little pig 78 Wink)
That information is very helpful. If I go to LT when I travel to Estonia I'll be sure to buy you a few beers.
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Experiences? Reply with quote

Anyone with experiences in Lithuania they'd like to share?
peder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: lithuania experience Reply with quote

I taught in Vilnius for about a year and also spent some time in Kaunus. Vilnius was really a great place to live. There are jobs out there but You better have a CELTA. Also look for private students they will help you get through the very slow summer months. Your not going to save any money but if you live frugally you will get by. For the most part people are really nice although I did have my run in with the local thugs a couple of times. I would get there as soon as possible because I have a feeling that once vilnius is headed for a major change once it gets 'discovered' by the mainstream tourist along with the introduction of the euro in a coulple of years. I do miss it. If your don't have a eu passport look into the paper work before you get there. good luck
poro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: lithuania experience Reply with quote

peder wrote:
... look for private students they will help you get through the very slow summer months...

Excellent point, Peder.

The further north you are, the more of a 'concept' summer is. We lack light in winter, and use it in summer - so our vacations start in June to take advantage of midnight sun, and almost no one wants to do school at this time.

A saying in Finland is that "There are three good reasons for being a teacher: June, July and August", meaning teachers don't work then, because there is no work.

Is Lithuania the same?
james_tesol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got any inofrmation on what the social or nightlife scene is like in Lituania?
booty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: IH Vilnius Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Don't work here. The boss is a complete and utter bully
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: