Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Qualifications but no experience
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me jump in the middle here and let you know that there is very little negotiation in the HCT system. Unless you have some unique ability that they are desparate to get... and I can't quite figure out what that might be. Smile I would say the higher the degrees you hold (PhD) and the higher up the position you are applying for, the more likely that you might be able to negotiate. So many people want to work for them and their pay scale is already one of the highest in the Gulf... that teacher and supervisor level positions will not present much chance of negotiation. You could always give it a try though...

VS
seanmca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:

So I applied in Nov 2003 (denied after the initial interview February 2004)
I came to Korea instead and got the notification in Jan 2005 that they wanted me there in February 2005.

I've been allocated to the IT faculty. (I have no idea what that means...) I haven't received my security clearance yet and my plane tickets haven't been released yet. I fly out on February 2nd...(hopefully)

Hey Turtlepi1,

I hope you had a nice trip. I am curious about your situation because it seems like we were in the same boat (along with Janette). I received a note saying I had passed the initial screening , and they asked me about starting in February. Unfortunately, I couldn't. I have taught ESL and Education Technology, and when I talked to a man on the phone, he said that they might interview me for an IT position.

Please give us an update once you are settled.
Anyways, best of luck. I hope to be joining you (and Janette) in August.
holbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: negotiating the contract Reply with quote

I know that it has been done before but it is a big gamble. If you really want the job I wouldn't try to negotiate the pay. It's a real easy way to not get picked up. To renegotiate the pay the individual college director would have to approve it. These directors are very finicky. They wouldn't like new teacher coming onboard dictiating special packages. Only in rare cases where they absolutely needed you would that fly.

As for your partner, in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah there is pleanty of extra work to be found. In RAK, Fujairah or even Al Ain it would be very difficult to find anything worth while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: