Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

things to bring to moscow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediagirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: things to bring to moscow? Reply with quote

I have been offered a job in Moscow. I am wondering as a woman is there anything I should bring with me that is not available in Moscow? Girls out there reading this you know what I mean. Monthly items you might need.
anubistaima

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I doubt it. I have been in Novosibirsk, Siberia, since this past Friday and they have everything (both local and foreign brands). Moscow should be even better. Don't expect things to be cheaper than in America, though, so whatever you can bring with you, do. Good luck!
Katyusha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there! Moscow has EVERYTHING you need. There are cheap places, as well as expensive ones. You just need to know where to look. Cool
Yosma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ıt's off topıc but out of ınterest I'd lıke to know about Novosıbırsk. I've been to a few Sıberıan cıtıes and would love to spend more tıme workıng there. Are there many opportunıtıes?

I was offered jobs ın a couple of state unıversıtıes ın the past but they were payıng about 100 US a month and a place ın the student dorm. I'm not thınkıng about those kınd of opportunıtıes.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that Moscow has everything you might need--but is it at a price you're willing to pay for it?

There are many things that are not made in Russia, or are of such poor quality you wouldn't want them. Imported goods are subject to very high import taxes, and of course those costs are passed on to the consumer.
So in light of those statements, and considering that I'm a western female with plenty of expatella girlfriends here, I'll make a few suggestions.

Underwear. Yep, that's right. You may not believe this, but many of us buy our underwear on trips home or order off the internet. You want to know why. Very Happy Because unless you buy top end lingerie in a fancy shop where the goods are imported form Italy or France ($$$), you buy underwear on the streets or in 'rynoks' (open markets). In the rynoks there is nowhere to try things on. I saw a woman last summer in a rynok trying on a sizeable hot pink bra over her dress, in the midst of hundreds of people. And I've seen stranger things than that too.

Shoes. Moscow has got to be the shoe capital of the world. For women unfortunately, most of those shoes involve heels 8 or 10 inches high. Nice looking shoes that that are comfortable yet smart are difficult to come by. And if you do find them, they're gonna cost you, because they were probably imported from Italy. Women here generally don't do the Birkenstock/hiking boot/tennis shoe thing. Bring attractive comfortable shoes. However in the case of winter boots, buy them here. They have kick a*s winter boots in this country that are cute too. Russians have a fetish for cute footwear.

Socks. Of course they have socks in Russia, but the quality is often poor and the selection of type very limited. If you're used to buying a pack of socks for $5 you won't do it here. We get our folks back home to send us socks once or twice a year.

Toiletries. Cosmetics and lotions and other such goodies abound but there are 2 problems: 1) They're all labeled in Russian. Ask me why I later discovered that I had smoothed makeup remover on my feet. Laughing 2) Many of the cosmetics are imported (are you noticing a pattern here?) and extremely expensive. Bring enough of this stuff to get you through at least a couple of months.

Feminine products are widely available and cost the same as home. No problems there.

However I would advise that if you need winter outer clothing that you buy it here. Why you ask? Because there is such a delicious selection of hats and scarves and gloves and mittens and coats and boots, and because out-of-place clothing brands you as a foreigner. It is not desireable to be picked out as a foreigner from 2 blocks away. Blending in is good, better, best.

Let me know if you'd like more detail and I can direct you to some good places for winter clothing. Cheers.
anubistaima

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: To Yosma Reply with quote

I found the Novosibirsk job through an Internet ad. The offer was the standard $500 salary, apartment, medical insurance, etc. for up to 20 hours/week work. They did not offer flight reimbursement or monthly bonuses.

I went through the whole process via Internet only. They even interviewed me by email. I talk to them only once, two days before the flight, to confirm arrival time and make sure they�ll be waiting for me at the airport.

I�ve only been here a week, so I can�t talk much, but so far, no complaints. Everything has been just as they promised. I know there are other opportunities in Siberia, because I�ve seen other ads. Look through other ESL websites. I didn�t found this job here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: