Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French-speaking countries
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnix

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Scot 47,I Think I Am Also Suffering from Doughnut Deficiency Reply with quote

If I am ever headed over Saudi way again, maybe we should get together and have some doughnuts and coffee.Maybe then we both can understand WHAT Anne Stevens is talking about.This statement of hers particularly intrigues me:"You can tell a Francophone 5 or 1000 miles away.Come on,you know that." Oh,really????? Do they have a big sign on them saying "I am a Francophone"? And if they are 1000 miles(or even five) away, how could you see the sign,anyway?

Do you mean you can tell by the posts,etc.? Well,maybe.For instance,from your posts, I would guess that English is not your first language(e.g. "nini"?NINI??? I think you mean "ninny",right?) Of course,I am probably the last person to admit I am infallible.(Whatever else my faults,I have the grace to admit I can be mistaken).Maybe English is your first language,and your punctuation and spelling are just poor. Maybe "nini"is the Francophone way to spell "ninny"?

I am not being overcritical, but to tell you the truth, I agree with Scot. I really do not understand what you are trying to tell us.Maybe that is due to your run- on sentences and punctuation errors.Sheesh,I need a cup of coffee and a couple of doughnuts right now! Smile
M@tt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe "nini" is a pet name derived from "xnihil". in this case i think you qualify for the same pet name. i guess i would be @t@t.

p.s. i am francophone. could you smell it on me?
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Boy,Are You Weird! Reply with quote

I don't pretend to know binary...if that really has anything to do with it.Also,I could care less what you smell like.Maybe...you have been drinking or something,though? Rolling Eyes
M@tt

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a signature, you idiot. it has nothing to do with this thread.
my p.s. was poking fun at anne's previous message about spotting francophones 1000 miles away. maybe it was too subtle, since i didn't overtly insult her.

some of you people need to get out more (scot47, bnix, richard ame come to mind).
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: out ? where ? Reply with quote

Get out ? Where ? I am in Saudi Arabia ! There is no "out" here that anyone would want to go to. After the bombing in Riyadh I will be sticking to my compound - or doing a runner.
xnihil

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: doing a runner? Reply with quote

what, or who, is a runner and how does one "do" it?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: do a runner Reply with quote

This is probably Britspeak. It is quite commonly used here in Saudi. When a teacher goes on vacation and does not come back he "does a runner". Some people just pack up and go home but that can be difficult because here you need an exit visa.
bnix

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: M?tt!Hey,"DUDE" Reply with quote

Soooo....what a snappy comeback...calling someone an "idiot'.Well maybe,with your limited vocabulary,that is the best you can do! Laughing

Hey,and that cutesie-pie way of putting an ampersand(@) in your handle!Hey,"DUDE", like WAY COOL! However,I think "M?tt" would be much more appropriate....

Furthermore a suggestion from someone living in the Hoosier State (Indiana) that I "Get out more"....is hilarious...like Indiana is the center of the universe or something? Laughing Rolling Eyes
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Scot and "Getting Out" Reply with quote

Sounds like Scot may be "getting out" of Saudi.Good Lord,be careful...don't want to lose you...one of the few score people in this business who actually KNOW what they are doing...Saudi...well..glad I am not there...I did my time there Rolling Eyes and well...I do not intend to hurry back.... Rolling Eyes

The phrase"doing a runner"...the first time I heard it in this context, it was"pulling a runner"."Same,same, mister",like some of my students in Saudi used to say Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: saudi after May 12 Reply with quote

Wednesday night but not quite the weekend. I have one evening class from 9.40 to 10.30.

Can't quite figure out how the latest terrorist attacks impact on us here.

Go on holiday in 6 weeks and will review the position over the summer.
xnihil

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: M?tt!Hey,"DUDE" Reply with quote

bnix wrote:

Hey,and that cutesie-pie way of putting an ampersand(@) in your handle!Hey,"DUDE", like WAY COOL! However,I think "M?tt" would be much more appropriate....

"@" is not an ampersand.

"&" is an ampersand.

From AskOxford.com:

"It [@] is usually known as 'the at sign' or 'the at symbol', which is good enough for most people. It is sometimes called 'commercial a', and occasionally by the French name arrobe or arroba. "

BTW M@TT, I think your signature is very funny. Its a varient of my all-time favorite joke:
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

I consider this joke to be a speedy IQ test, those who ask, "Well, what's the third kind?", instantly fail.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Okay,"X"...Thanks for the Info Reply with quote

On the ampersand business.You are absolutely right.I was mistaken(see there,guys,it does not hurt that much to admit a mistake!).Oh by the way,I believe the spelling is "variant",right? Of course,maybe "varient" is a variant spelling? Smile

As for M?tt...well...I don't know...anyone who cannot make a point without namecalling... Rolling Eyes

By the way,that handle you have is interesting...but easier to call you "X"
xnihil

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, stand corrected. Variant it is.

I find that my biggest challenges as a teacher are my poor spelling and even worse penmanship. I only hope I make up for it with wit and charisma.
rogan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnihil

@ in French is "arobas"

But then I'm a francophone, and I don't smell (too badly, too often)
And you can't spot me from 5 or 1000 miles, or kilometres away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: