Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign Lettori at Italian Universities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Foreign Lettori at Italian Universities Reply with quote

Hello All:

Could anyone provide information regarding being a foreign lettore in Italy? I'm a native English speaker with an Italian BA, a TESOL certificate and an EU passport, so I believe my qualifications are okay, what's your opinion?

But three questions:

How does one find out about these jobs? I'm specifically interested in living in Rome.

What does the job entail? Are you teaching lit courses, or English as a language?

What type of contracts are offered, one year or longer?

Thanks!
russett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: By the way Reply with quote

Still Russett here, I was inquiring about full-time positions, though any info would be helpful!
daily chai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russett, just keeping your thread alive... I'm not a lecturer in Europe, but it seems the minimum standard for teaching at uni worldwide is a master's degree. AFAIK France requires it, so I wouldn't be surprised if Italy had a similar requirement. I'm a lecturer in Asia (Taiwan) and it's required, plus documentation of FT teaching experience. Malaysia also requires a MA/MS. I believe S. American countries do as well. I'd be surprised if Italy had lower standards than these places. More native English speakers would prefer to move to Italy than to the hinterlands on another continent.

If Italy has a two-tier English language program at uni, you might find a job. They have that in Taiwan: the Language Center teaches pre-university level classes (but you have to have an MA/MS and teaching experience to work there). The main campus has university-level English classes.

Would a job at a language school be good enough? I would look closely at the commute because that's often the worst about working at a private language school--flying around town to two different locations per day. Also check into what working days you'd have. If you have irregular days off that might also be an annoyance. People have posted that it can be hard to nail down enough hours in your contract at just one school, so that could be a serious factor. I know I don't want to work in America for *many* reasons, but one of them is I wouldn't like being PT at two or three institutions (with no health insurance either).

Anyone else with more helpful, regional info on Italy? HTH Russett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: