Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

online job application at UAEU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairlie76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: online job application at UAEU Reply with quote

I have been trying to access the online job application page at UAEU since October and have been issued with 5 different ID's and passwords over the course of 3 very frustrating months. Sad I have had no reply to any of my e-mails to the webmaster in charge of the page http://ugruweb.uaeu.ac.ae/urs/ and there is no contact details or phone numbers for the university concerning wouldbe employees (or am I looking in the wrong place?) Does anyone know how I can apply for the job as advertised on Dave's ESL other than by clicking on 'apply online' because the web page just doesn't open after I log in. I am growing desperate as I really want to work in the UAE, have taught ESL for 6 yrs and have an MA in Applied Linguistics and the hiring season is almost over. If I don't get a job at a university in the UAE by Feb I will have to sign on for another year with my current univeristy in South Korea and am reluctant to do so.
Would appreciate your help.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your cookies and security settings. You have to have cookies enabled in order for the site to work correctly.

Try clearing the cache, checking your settings, and starting over. Make sure you make note of the ID number you're given after completing the form. The only way to apply here is the online form or in person at the TESOL Arabia conference in March.

I applied in June, I think, and the first I heard was a request for an interview some time in November. Nerve wracking, but that's the way it's done. Good luck!
fairlie76

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
Thanks for the advice but I have tried this on a number of computers and have adjusted my cookies a number of times. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has been able to get into the page since about October? This is soooooo frustrating as I know it's not the computer. Sad
High Plains Drifter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don�t waste your time with these bozos. They're notoriously screwed up and notoriously rude about leaving people hanging for months or not bothering to respond to them at all. It�s a big red flag when a school has a broken web site but month after month after month can�t get it together enough to fix it.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairlie,
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties. I'm just a teacher so I can't release any information like email addys but I'll point out this thread to someone at HR.

Drifter,
My experience has been very different than what you describe. Have you ever actually worked here? Have you ever even been here? Or...did you apply and get rejected?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also passed the info on to an HR person, though I suspect that this problem is caused by a department over which they have little or no control.

As to letting people hang with no word on their application, I always considered that the usual procedure even among the best employers. A time-tested Middle East tradition!!

UAEU is one of the better employers these days... still some problems, but can anyone name a place that doesn't have any? anywhere in the world?

I'd keep trying Fairlie.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairlie76

I heard from a contact with contacts in the HR department and it was confirmed that there is nothing wrong from their end and they have been receiving bunches of apps though their system continuously. So, the problem must be from your end??

Don't know what to tell you as far as how to fix it.

VS
blues clues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same experience with their on-line application...wasted a lot of time filling out this tedious form only to find it wouldn't go through at the end of it.....tried a number of times from different computers....very frustrating....I concur....if they can't even get the application process right, what does it mean for the university itself....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one wonders why so many other people managed to get through while some don't. What they need is another option for getting applications there other than the internet... like maybe a mailing address? or a fax number?

But, I think one would be rather foolish to decide about an EFL job based on the IT department and/or the website of a large university. Presumably it would make sense to make that decision based on what the other EFL teachers have to say. Smile

UAEU may not be the best place in the Gult to teach, but it's a helluva long ways from the worst.

VS
juststeven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to make things REALLY happen is to go there and speak to them face-to-face! I know it is a major expense and might not work out. But, you will see what the environ is all about and they will be very impressed with you effort. Very Happy
lucy k

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem with online application. I've tried various things on different computers and so far, nothing has worked. I've heard good things about the school and definitely want to apply. Thanks to those of you who checked into the problem! I'll keep trying, I guess.
lucy k

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I finally managed to get the online application to work. I'm not sure if we're having the same problems, but for me it was just a matter of downloading JAVA. After that, the application came up fine. Just thought I'd pass it along!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they will give you extra credit for figuring out the problem. Cool

Good Luck!!

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy K,

Great work! And good luck with the application. It's a good school.
patrykt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled,

Don't hog all the credit. I've been teaching at a Polish university for the last six years and we get abused just as badly as you do there. The last beauty was when I was informed about the 30% reduction in my salary-not from the school, but from my girlfriend who happened to hear about it from another teacher. It's the life of the ex-pat English teacher.

Fairlie I had the same problem with the website, but one day it just magically worked. I wish I could be more helpful.

Patryk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: