Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of Living
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Cost of Living Reply with quote

Has anyone here taught EFL or travelled through a number of Latin American countries in one go? I would be interested in the quickest of cost-of-living comparisons between the cities/countries you were in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not come up with a Canasta Basica list of essential goods and services for the ESL teacher and get people in different places to fill in the prices. Not the quickest solution but probably the best low-cost solution available.

And it would be of immense interest to people thinking about moving.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm doing. We have a database of such things, but it needs an update and some checking.

If it helps...

Rent with a description of where you stayed
Eating out
Transportation around town
Things that stood out as expensive/cheap

I didn't want this too be a questionnaire...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy,

Good to hear from you - One question: Are you utilizing this forum space for expansion of teaching knowledge or purely business purposes?

I checked out your website and found it to be all business...
gambasbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will start.

Cochabamba Bolivia

Two bedroom house, large kitchen and a largish living room, bathroom, small garden, 230 dollars a month. (prices have since fallen)

Luxury 2 bedroomed apartment, large kitchen, large dining room big enough to have a separate living room, 3 bathrooms, outside swimming pool, 300 dollars a month. (again prices have fallen since)

Eating out. Almuerzo no more than a dollar, can pay less. In the evening you can get an excellent meal for 3 to 4 dollars.

Transport - Buses just increased to 20 cents to most places in the city. taxis about 50 cents to most places. Gringos ususlly have to pay 65! No fixed taxi prices here, but they are fixed at about 30 cents to anywhere in Sucre.

Books and magazines are expansive compared to other things. Clothes very cheap but finding right size can be a problem. (I am 6 feet 2 inches)
Unlimited time local calls for about 12 cents. Internet cafes 25 to 40 cents an hour.

The most I have been paid as an ESL teacher was 4.2 dollars an hour.

Pretty much everything is available to buy here and all money quoted is North American. Hope that helps as a start.

Mike
Cheza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Costa Rica Reply with quote

I pay about $80 per month rent for a 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment, with a garden, and storage area, in a nice neighborhood.

Utilities are dirt cheap. I pay about $15 per month for electricity, water, phone, and garbage combined.

Food is pretty cheap too. I cook most my own food, and it costs me about $50 per month, including all other misc. groceries. And I eat pretty well too.

As for transportation usually $1 to get to any place in town by taxi, but I usually walk. When I need to take a bus, it will be about 20 cents in town, or about 50 cents to any nearby towns.

These are the prices of living in a small town, I know it costs a lot more in the big cities. I make about $3.20 per hour for my classes, and about $4.40 per hour for private lessons
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gambasbo wrote:
Ok I will start.

Cochabamba Bolivia

Two bedroom house, large kitchen and a largish living room, bathroom, small garden, 230 dollars a month. (prices have since fallen)
. . .

Pretty much everything is available to buy here and all money quoted is North American. Hope that helps as a start.

Mike

Would that be in U.S. dollars or Canadian dollars?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulie2003 wrote:
Guy,

Good to hear from you - One question: Are you utilizing this forum space for expansion of teaching knowledge or purely business purposes?

I checked out your website and found it to be all business...

The org that I work for has a website that promotes their services yes. My email runs through that site.

I use this site to communicate, to learn, to work, to be, to have fun, to express frustration, and to surf. I do not use it to locate, tag, and process atheists for conversion.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One item to add to the cost-of-living list. Don't laugh.

Shaving cream or gel.

In Mexico, the imported type costs up to 5 times the CDN or US price. Razor blades too. Is it expensive where you are?
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, I'm not looking for atheists either, Guy...I'm searching for 'seekers'
(wise men still seek Him)...now does your adding the cost of shaving cream and razors speak to any specific gender...?
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Shaving cream or gel.

In Mexico, the imported type costs up to 5 times the CDN or US price. Razor blades too. Is it expensive where you are?

Yes! As a matter of fact, I just bought a can of shaving gel this morning to the tune of 75 pesos. That's about 15 pesos more than I earn per hour teaching. When I was in the States the last time, I picked up a bag of 10 disposable razors of the kind I prefer for about the same price as a pack of 2 of the same razors cost here. I stopped buying the types of razors with replaceable blades, because a few weeks after I'd buy them, the right kind of replacement blades couldn't be found anywhere in the city. Since shaving accessories for both men and women are usually located together in most stores here, I happened to notice that there's not a big price difference in cost between the two.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on the price of razor blades. I feel bad paying �1 in the UK (US$1.85) a blade for Mach 3 but the same price in Argentina where the cost of living and basic wage is around 4 times less????

-2 bedroomed flat + service charge + utilities in decent area in Buenos Aires= $200-400/month. But getting someone to be your guarantor is a bit of a 'mare and i know people who paid someone $200 to produce a fake guarantor's reference.

-Eating out-the best steak in the world + salad for lunch=$3 (set menu). For dinner $5-6.

-1L bottle of beer in supermarket=45c, in a bar $1-2
-Cuba libre (v strong) in very very fancy bar in central BsAs/Palermo/Recoleta=$2.50-4
-Expensive coctail (very strong, very nice) in very swanky bar $4-5

-Transport-25c buses and subte (underground). Taxis-$3-4 for about 20minutes which is a pretty long way in BsAs.

-Expensive-imported clothes and technology

-Cheap-very good quality industria argentina clothes and shoddier quality industria argentina electrical goods

-Cheap-museums-some free, some around $1

-Internet cafe-30c-60c/hour

-Local calls 7c per 120/240 seconds (off/on peak)

-Pack of cigarettes-85c

-Cable TV $16/month

-New (not pirate CD) $6-10

-Pirate CD $1

-A night with my girlfriend $10 million

Shocked

Last edited by matttheboy on Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A night with my girlfriend $10 million

Shades of Indecent Proposal...looks like I'm a little short on $$$, so someone else gets the Robert Redford lead...
Twisting in the Wind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order of cheapest to most expensive, here goes:
(Spanish-speaking countries)

Bolivia (cheapest)
Peru
Paraguay
Ecuador
Guatemala
Honduras
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
CR
Venezuela
Colombia
Chile
Argentina

Did I leave any countries out? Embarassed In my opinion, in the middle they all sort of meld together--it's hard to figure out exactly which is more expensive and which is less--but this list is based on my experiences, which were several years ago

It's pretty much without a doubt that Bolivia, Haiti and Paraguay are the cheapest countries in the hemisphere--I see them popping up on lists over and over....but sometimes Honduras makes it on the odd list and I hear it mentioned as one of the cheaper costs of living countries....

I found Colombia to be pretty expensive when I was there. Have never been to Chile or Argentina, but have heard from others that they're pretty consistently expensive

And why would you be needing this information, O Sir Guy? Laughing
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And why would you be needing this information, O Sir Guy?

Glad you asked.

Much of my job involves assisting TEFLers locate jobs through our TEFL and internship programs throughout Latin America. Every year or so, I need to recompile cost-of-living tables for over 20 countries. It's hard to get reliable info on the net, so best is to ask here, to you all out in the field. My personal experience is limited to Mexico City and several other towns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: