Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting money out of Russia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GedKealmen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Getting money out of Russia? Reply with quote

Hello again everyone, this time I'm trying to get information on how to do two things either cheaply, efficiently, and/or properly.

1) When I leave Russia, assuming I haven't squandered whatever cash I made, what is the most convenient (and legal) way to take it with me?

2) While I'm in Russia, what's the best way to transfer funds back home?

Some things to consider:

- Originally you could only take out funds you brought in yourself, but a new rule (Customs Committee 1-99/00) says you can take out USD$1500.00 with a simplified customs declaration and no papers confirming its delivery into Russia. More than that and you must provide documentation showing that you brought it in or it was wired to you.

- Apparently Traveller's Cheques are exempt from these constraints. Can someone verify this? Can you take home any amount of $$$ in Traveller's Cheques without problems?

- Western Union and similar services are quite expensive (i.e. USD $90.00 fee for a USD $1,000.00 transfer) but available nonetheless.

- iKobo (search the net if you don't know what this is) seems to be a good option, but you still need a way to get your Russian money into the system. Can a foreigner get a Russian VISA credit/debit card? Can we open bank accounts? I'm thinking that in case I can't get a Russian VISA card myself, I might find a Russian friend who has one and he/she could use the iKobos system; I could cash-refund him/her directly.

Does anyone have thoughts on these matters?
Nexus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting money out of Russia? Reply with quote

GedKealmen wrote:
assuming I haven't squandered whatever cash I made,

I squandered a lot of money in Moscow, the rest I spent on drink, drugs and fast women!

I used Finansbank to transfer money out. I opened an account with them and got a second card with for a named person. (who was visiting at the time, but you could get friend to do it) My friend gave this card to my mum and she used it in cash machines back home to take money out after I put it in in Moscow. She then deposited it in my UK account (at least that's what she tells me)

Travellers cheques are no problem though. They won't be confiscated.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but I think you can take out $3000 without a declaration now. As mentioned above, TC's are a good idea if you are the nervous type.

I''d really like to know what kind of position you've lined up Smile . Russia is not the country of choice to work in if you want to bring money home!
GedKealmen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Position... Reply with quote

Well, I doubt I'll be saving much initially as I'll simply be teaching for BKC. I got the top of the possible salary range, but even so it's not a lot of money.

However, there are a few things to consider:

1) I'm not a big spender except on electronic gadgets which I doubt I'll be buying there. I enjoy cooking at home so restaurants are mostly social occasions for me.

2) I'm not going to Moscow to date Russian women, so I don't expect to be squandering a lot in that department. I know this is perhaps a rather naive thing to say, but I'll try to stick to it as long as I can. Razz

3) Vodka is really cheap...

4) One of the serious objectives while there is getting a DELTA certification which will help open up options for a second contract.

5) As I learned while I was in the PRC, you can always make quite a bit of money if that's your main focus. Opportunities always come up and you just need to grab away and make the best of em.
Nexus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about doing the DELTA with BKC? Unless things have changed, you should be aware that they offer the intensive course in summer (2 months). The problem is that there's no guarantee that it will run, they only run it of course if they have the minimum number of suitable applicants. I think last year was the first time in 2 or 3 years that it ran - it might also be worth finding out about the pass rate.

Good luck!
XXX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this in Moscow:

Women are HARD to avoid. You can try, but...................

Vodka may be cheap, but it can also be LETHAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Privates will be offered. Take them. It can be a good deal.

I got most of my extra cash ( in DOLLARS) out in my shoes.
Or you could put your money in jewelry. Most females that I knew got a nice pair of earrings.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the DELTA, first of all, BKC is the only centre for doing the DELTA in Russia. In fact we ran courses in 2001 and 2003-last year we were unable to because of a lack of suitable applicants. This summer we will be running it, but the course is already full (subject to the Cambridge assessor's final approval of the applicants).
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have detailed exactly how I was able to make a wire transfer in Russia at least once, maybe twice on this forum.
If it's useful, do a search and you'll find it.

Edit: bugger it, here's the thread I mean: http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=16939&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: