Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cricket lessons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can certainly see racism continuing to be a problem due to some national associations burying their head in the sand.
Spanish?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:
I can certainly see racism continuing to be a problem due to some national associations burying their head in the sand.
Spanish?

Yes, but not exclusively. Black players from British teams have had to put up with it for far too long. I remember when it was rife in Britian in both football and cricket but we have managed to improve things to the extent that it really is rare.

Unfortunately, Spain seems to have made no progress. When I lived there in the mid 80s and then early 90s I regularly attended games in which the late Laurie Cunningham, Dalian Atkinson and Freddy Rincon played. I just hope the two English lads were slow to learn Spanish - the abuse they took was disgusting.

I watched the international last year in which the video evidence shows the Ultras abusing Wright-Phillips, Cole, Defoe and King. That's not suprising given their heritage. However, the shocking thing was that the racist chants and monkey noises were coming from all over - old and young; male and female. Obviously, Luis Aragones's comments about Henry may have fuelled it but that doesn't excuse the abuse. How Aragones is still in the job is astonishing.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about things improving in Britain. I remember when Mark Walters played for Rangers. When he went to take a corner the Celtic fans through bananas at him. Disgusting.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
You're right about things improving in Britain. I remember when Mark Walters played for Rangers. When he went to take a corner the Celtic fans through bananas at him. Disgusting.

Yeah that was common all over in Football and Cricket. There was a time when Yorkshire cricket crowds did that to any black player on the boundary. Fortunately, that seems like a different age now. My wife, who is black, has been to Celtic Park, Headingly and Goodison Park and not seen or heard anything which made her uncomfortable.
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell me you are a Celtic and an Everton supporter Shocked A couple of months ago I took my g/f to the Turkey Greece world cup qualifier(she is also black) and she felt totally comfortable, the only abuse was aimed at the Turkish manager
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Don't tell me you are a Celtic and an Everton supporter Shocked

No, we've only been to Everton the once as guests of the sponsors (we were part of the prawn sandwich brigade that day).

The only other time I've been so fortunate was at a 6 nations game in Cardiff last year - Micky Skinner was our host and he lead by example. England lost to a late penalty and everyone else in my party was English but that didn't stop the party.

dmb wrote:
the only abuse was aimed at the Turkish manager

Times have changed then!
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Schizophrenic Reply with quote

So, Ras al Hadd, your wife is black, but you voted for the anti-immigrant UKIP. Care to explain the reasoning behind that?
By the way, when I said "your football fans," I meant your English compatriots. I am indeed a Scot. You got something right.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Paranoid Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
So, Ras al Hadd, your wife is black, but you voted for the anti-immigrant UKIP. Care to explain the reasoning behind that?
By the way, when I said "your football fans," I meant your English compatriots. I am indeed a Scot. You got something right.

Calm down Laughing You'll do yourself a mischief - I don't really need to explain again do I? YAWN. I generally protest when I vote given the shocking British system - at least our parliament in Edinburgh got one thing right (or should that be correct) if nothing else. I think they've acheived their objectives of undermining the cash cow - the main parties couldn't. I'm pro Europe my friend but anti the system - that might be difficult for you to get your head round but give it a go. As for anti-immigration I think you are confusing Griffin's lot with them again - you obviously haven't read what they said last year, just the usual press rubbish - don't be taken in. Take a look at Hector Lector's posts and then you'll see what you are getting confused with (HL also noticed the relevance of my handle about a year ago - so keep up).

Anyway there was no mention of cricket in that post Rolling Eyes So fancy a game in Glasgow (Hillhead park) tomorrow morning? My wife'll be there, you'll be able to inspect the colour of her skin. All four of our kids'll be there too, they have quite fair skin, since you're interested in skin colour. Wink

Last edited by Russell Hadd on Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is a limited overs game. I wouldn't want you to miss the football.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
I hope it is a limited overs game. I wouldn't want you to miss the football.

Just a mess around with friends- Don't worry I'll be watching - just wish I was going.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope the 12th man can do the business. I HAVE TO go to the irish pub to watch it.(it's not on Turkish tv) The things we do for our National team Very Happy
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've just changed your avatar. Who is it? (a bit like 'A question of Sport' )
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
You've just changed your avatar. Who is it? (a bit like 'A question of Sport' )

I just changed it from Andy Goram (the Scotland Keeper and Cricketer) to Simon Katich the Aussie batter who lost it last week along with half his wages. I was looking for Ponting's rant but none of the pics quite pic it up like they do on the Katich one I chose.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognised Goram but as i have to listen to the series on the radio here I am a bit out of touch on who's who in the Aussie team. Apart from the golden oldies(Oh most of them)
btw Did you read the story about Pieterson taking Warne out on the pi$$. pieterson left the club sober and early. Warne left at 3 in the morning and totally trashed. Underhand tactics?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:

btw Did you read the story about Pieterson taking Warne out on the pi$$. pieterson left the club sober and early. Warne left at 3 in the morning and totally trashed. Underhand tactics?

No, that's brilliant Very Happy - they are good mates - the two teams have been getting on well most of the time because SW and KP get on so well.

Have you seen the 'game' on the Channel4 website? W.G.Grace stars in 'Bring it on' The game is not up to much - WG whacks a few Aussies back to Australia - but the comments he comes out with are hilarious.

BTW - if you are watching the game tomorrow in an Irish bar hadn't you better leave the Gers shirt at home and pop on the hoops Very Happy - Or doesn't it matter over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: