Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal teaching jobs for nonEU in Italy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus1998

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Legal teaching jobs for nonEU in Italy? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I've gathered from alot of the feedback here that it's extremely difficult for Canadians/Americans to get legal ESL teaching work in Italy. But are companies willing to do the paperwork for people with the right qualifications and experience though? Or are my chances really that slim?
Maybe it would depend on the supply/demand in different areas?

I'm a Canadian (music) teacher with years of teaching experience, a master's degree, and a TEFL certificate wanting badly to live and work in Italy.
I'm also getting different stories from teachers vs. Italian/Canadian consulate on whether one has to return to Canada, if successfully having secured a contract, to then apply for a work permit from the Italian Embassy at home. The teachers told me they didn't have to (their company did it for them), the Embassies told me one must apply for the permit in person in your home country because you can't change your tourist status to working status whilst in Italy. Can any teachers let me in on the scoop if there is one?
Any feedback/advice from companies, teachers, especially Canadian ones, would greatly be appreciated.
Also, anyone worked for, or heard of the company The Dawson Group (based in Bologna)?

cheers, Smile
Marc98
Salsagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Italy Reply with quote

Well Marc,

I have taught in Italy only for 2 weeks and that was summer camp. I ended up working under the table only because it was not a long term position. I would suggest to try getting employment with an university before going over, because I was told the same thing as an American. I love Italy and would do anything to move there. What I notice if you know some one who have connection with other schools, you may have a better chance of getting employment. I went to a language school to learn Italian. Once I got to know the staff and the owner I was better well informed of how things operate in Italy. That's how I got my job. Most of the pay is done under the table if you don't have a work permit.

Do what other guys do. Fine a sweetheart and get marry than you will be legal. LOL! Wink Uhmmm, just a thought.
Mark a Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Dawson Group in bologna and other areas Reply with quote

Hi there...Just a quick reply to let you know that I worked a couple of years ago for the Dawson Group in Bologna Italy. They are one of the few serious private schools in Italy. Although the school handles a large part of Emilia Romagna *ex Parma, Modena, etc. the owner Dr. Dawson has things pretty well organized and although they dont guarantee hours they usually have a lot of work available for the teachers. I worked sometimes more than 35 hours a week, and that was only mon through friday. They work with primarily with adults and for several large multinational companies. The pay is also pretty good with respect to the market and they dont give you a lot of broken promises like some other schools I worked for...Oh also the way the Dawson Group has things organized they can also hire experienced Americans or others without an Eu passport...
If it still the same it is quite easy to find them using a search in Google...
jnesta1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info mark, i hope i remember that group when it comes time for me to go. another great way to find schools is to look here

http://www.paginegialle.it/index.html

and, after typing in a city or region, type in 'scuole di lingue.'

jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: