Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where does one hang out in Al Ain?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norman42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Where does one hang out in Al Ain? Reply with quote

Where does one hang out in Al Ain? Hilton Health Spa....any ideas as I'm going there Feb 15 to teach english.

Thank you
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee... I sure hope that you are not going there for the exciting night life!! Shocked Other than the few hotels, there really isn't much more. It is a good place to be if you are working on an internet degree or writing that novel. It's a nice quiet little town. Once you get there, your fellow teachers will certainly be able to point you in the right direction.

VS
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman

Surely, there is more to life than "hanging out". A harmless dosage of creativity can go a long way, my friend. For starters, check out Bida bint Saud, Wadi Al Sharm, Jabal Hafeet, Buraimi... You're on the edge of some of the most fantastic desert in the world; ever heard of the Rub Al Khali? (The Empty Quarter?)... What on earth are you fretting over the Hilton, Intercon, the Rotana... those places are so seriously sad... for the chronic depression-prone expat if you ask me Crying or Very sad

Al Ain is by far the most beautiful town in the entire UAE. You just have to learn how to make it work for you...

Sigh...

TH
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Ain is a beautiful city, but it's also quiet. Common "hangouts" include the various gyms (InterCon being the most popular) and some clubs (Trader Vic's winning this contest). There are also lots of activities going on, such as the Natural History Group which has outings pretty much every week, plus presentations / meetings. As you make friends, the social life will happen.

Feel free to pm me, if you like. Where will you be working?

Edited for typo.
Sir Gawain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Hanging out in Al-Ain Reply with quote

Living near Choithrams downtown has distinct advantages. One could hang out in any number of the homes of friends you make while working here. Unless I miss my guess you are looking for community and if you are married with a family this new apartment compex is the best. Children play with one another in the halls and in each other's homes. Wives get together often and the guys enjoy the occasional card game.
Hope this helps
hmbaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Kids running up and down the hall screaming, wives (so only the guys work - right - bit sexist, what?) get together and gossip and the chaps play cards - wow exciting! And these were positive comments??
I believe the person asking the question is going to ELS - so probably won't get the nice, new Choitrams flats.
From my experience, there's plenty to do in Al Ain, but it can be difficult to get to know people if you are in an isolated position jobwise - so probably joining a club, doing the ENHG and joining other activity groups - like ice-hockey, rugby, golf club, toastmasters, and such would help. There used to be an al ain info list - does it still exist?
bobsyeruncle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Al Ain info list Reply with quote

There used to be an Al Ain expats email list on yahoogroups, but it seems to have died circa October, 2003.

Seeing a need, I just created a new one. If you (or anyone else reading this) would like to swap info about expat life in Al Ain (that's fit to print), please join us at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alainexpats/

or send a message to:

[email protected]

Whether this is worthwhile depends on what we do with it, but for now I for one would be happy to answer your specific questions about Al Ain. I'm not really an old hand, but I like it here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: