Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

will a resident visa be much of an advantage?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarasoucie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: will a resident visa be much of an advantage? Reply with quote

I just recently married a Chilean. We will be traveling to Chile to wait for my husband�s permanent resident application to be processed � we expect it to take at least six month. I am hoping to find work teaching English in March. I will have a resident visa and will be legally eligible to work. Will this visa be much of an advantage?
I do not have a TESL certificate, but I do have a bit of experience. I taught English in Spain (for a few months about five years ago). Should I get a TESl certificate, or should I be confident that my visa and my Canadian nationality would be sufficient. I�m sure anyone will tell me that a TESL certificate is a good idea�.but how much of an advantage will it really be? I know that a certificate will cost me at least $1000 can. From what my husband tells me, this $1000 could buy a lot of leisure time in Chile � so is it really worth the trouble???
Also�. Does anyone know anything about any other job prospects for Gringos in Chile?
I have seen some postings for English editors for web sites. Does anyone have any experience in this field?

Sara
eileen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching with no experience and no idea what you�re doing isn�t much fun, and can be detrimental to your mental health. Seriously. For that reason, I�d say get the certificate. You learn alot of practical tips, from what they say. I went the other way, by starting (but not finishing) a master�s in TESOL. For finding a job, there are schools that do and don�t require a certificate. In my opinion, the better schools do.

In terms of whether your resident visa will be helpful... Many, many schools pay under the table, and don�t apply for a visa for you. In this case, the resident visa would help you only inasmuch as you wouldn�t have to make a visa run after three months.

The only other gringo working options I know of for people who don�t have connections, really good Spanish or both are working in bars and bookstores that cater to gringos, and the pay is truly horrendous. Like as a teacher you�d likely make between 4 and 5.5 thousand pesos an hour, and at a bookstore or hostel, it�d probably be more like 1 thousand.
Dennis Parish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say that a resident visa will allow you to apply for "boletas" which is what you need to get paid at a respectable school. If you don't have them, they'll deduct the 10% from your pay anyway and pocket it at tax rebate time in April. Something to keep in mind... However, if you have a friend here, they may be able to submit boletas for you and get your money back for you.
Angie Arnold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: For Dennis Reply with quote

Do you know of any other good part time work possibilities for gringos with resident visas? I have lived in Santiago for the last 7 years but am just now starting to look for a teaching or other job. I have a very high level of spanish and have even been told that I have virtually no gringo accent. I saw that you are working or were working teaching at the Polyglot-Mitford institute. How is that? Do you have any suggestions for me? I am looking to make around $5000 pesos an hour as I am living here with my husband and don't need to support myself.
Thx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: