Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

motivation and culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helen3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: motivation and culture Reply with quote

I am a third-year BA English Language and Communications student at King's College London.

My final-year dissertation topic is culture in generic EFL Course Books.

I am particularly interest in EFL learners who are learning in their home
countries, and have written a survey (currently being piloted by MA students at
King's) which looks at learner motivation and attitude to British and American
culture in generic course books.

I am therefore looking for worldwide participants and would be very greatful if you would consider taking part.

I am looking for teachers who would be willing to use the survey as an
'authentic task', in a lesson, or, who would ask students if they would be interested in taking part individually.

If you need further information, or details would be happy to send the 'draft survey'. I am hoping to be in a position to send out the Final version of the survey by 18th February and, (as the results need to be analysed and the dissertation written up and handed in by the end of April), I would look to receive all replies by the 4th March

I will of course completely understand if you decide not to participate, and thank you for you time in reading this message.

Helen Lord
[email protected]
zaneth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Anything to fill a period. Can you tell I'm motivated?

PM me when you have more. I'm in small town European Russia.
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T, is it good to be home?

Maybe the textbook questionnaire should have a slant on teacher motivation. Sure as hell don't find many textbooks that make me feel like getting up ion the morning.

Ever have those lessons? There's no time to prepare, you have to go with the textbook, but you look at the pages with their pretty pictures and little boxes all over the place and think, "My God, what a mess..."

Mr T- in the absence (again... you notice a pattern forming?) of any response from The Powers That Be, I'm officially on the lookout for a new gig.
zaneth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, teacher motivation, now that's a whole other topic.

I love that place in Headway where it has the American tourists visiting Europe. Oh, I cringe every time I see it. And I don't know how often you come across a fake Scottish accent in text book tapes. I hear fake American accents from time to time. Ok, I doubt if students can hear the difference, but how hard can it be to find a real American? Do they put it in there just as a barb to American teachers? I suppose it is payback for all the fake british accents. And the loss of the lucrative colonial shipping rights. And all that other stuff.

Maybe the problem is that we use the books when we're already unmotivated?
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I just finished a class with one total muppet. He'll talk to himself for the whole 90 minutes if you don't interrupt him. Even if he wants to say something super-simple (in Russian) he uses at least ten times more words than necessary. I wish he'd get a Russian teacher. Just listening to the guy is hard work.

"Well, you see, it's like this, I sort of understand what the basic principle is, but as for this exact situation, kind of, you know, don't, although I am aware of all the..." etc. etc.

Sometimes I hear him muttering bizarre rules (gramar rules) that he's clearly making up as he goes along.

Today I have nooooo motivation whatsoever. I just want to go back to sleeeeeeeeeep. I want to go back to teaching big classes. I need an audience. Maybe I'm an exhibitionist.

Teaching one person as opposed to ten just can't be compared. Teaching four people a day is just POINTLESS.

Yeah, the accents in Reward are fantastically phoney. There's one lesson with a great Boston accent (sarry too distoyb ya madam...)

I can't remember the book now, but there's one with a fantastic Glaswegian accent. It was a genuine Glaswegian girl, and it was one of the best accents and voices they could have chosen- the type that puts your hair on edge like a knife screeching on a plate.

Yes, I usually make books a fall-back for when I just don't have the time or the energy to be more creative.
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I feel motivated to seek out a Glaswegian girl, just to hear her accent. I remember seeing Patrick Stewart at a Star Trek convention. He make some derogatory remarks about the sound of groups of English women talking. Said he much preferred American women's speech, but maybe he was just trying to flatter us.

I love how people in the states think that all British accents are cultured and refined.

Go to China. I hear you get a big group there and all you have to do is talk. I gave a lecture in a big fancy lecture hall once [edit: not in China]. It was pretty cool, but I prefer small groups (if they're listening).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: