Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UGRU Interview Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: UGRU Interview Query Reply with quote

Greetings,

I would appreciate opinions concerning appropriate dress for interviews in UAE, or more specifically at UGRU. Is a suit necessary or just slacks and tie for a man? Also, should women wear some type of head wrap to cover their heads?

Thanks for your thoughts. If you have any insights into interview strategies or specific questions that might be asked, those are also much appreciated.

Thanks!

cmc
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, cmc,

If the female applicant doesn't normally cover her hair, then she shouldn't do so at the interview. The only female UGRU teachers who cover their hair are Muslim, but not all of them cover - it depends on their cultural background ...... others have been known to do it on a temporary basis due to hair colouring disasters or sandstorms.

As far as the male applicant is concerned - it depends on the temperature on the day you have your interview. Male UGRU teachers don't usually wear a suit in the classroom, just a shirt and tie. At this time of the year some of the men are wearing a jacket, as it's a bit chilly at the moment .... the only one I've ever seen wearing a suit would be better off being an office worker anyway, and manages to realise this dream most of the time. Some of the Arabic male teachers wear a suit for teaching in, but I think that might be a cultural thing.

If you fancy wearing a suit for the interview it would probably be better than dressing down - it would show respect for the importance of the interview, I suppose, though most of the men I've asked said they just wore trousers, long-sleeved shirt, and tie. Women applicants usually wear an over-the-knee or long(ish) skirt or dress. She doesn't need to wear long sleeves, but the sleeve should come mid-way down towards the elbow (nothing which might reveal the armpits!). If she wears trousers, then they shouldn't be too tight fitting, and for the interview, I'd recommend covering the 'hips' with a longish blouse or jacket. No decollete or cleavage, or someone might start to think you're female......

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of Qs they've been asking recently. I'd lay bets on them asking you something about teaching writing to students who can't write .... that seems to pretty much be the thrust of things these days, from what I've heard.

When's the interview - soon? Good luck to one, both or all of you.
cmc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi Spicegirl,

What a perfect reply. That was just the information I was looking for. My wife and I fly to Dubai tomorrow and interview on Tuesday. Thanks for your help.

cmc
crocus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cmc

Good luck for Tuesday.

Any chance that when it's over you might be able to let us know the types of questions you were asked? Did the writing angle come up? Were the interviewers pleasant and straightforward, or did they try any sneak atttacks? Shocked

Hope it all goes well for you both.

Crocus
nomadykaty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about covering up yet- Wear what you would normally wear at an interview (suit or something similar for both men and women).

In terms of questions- they will most likely ask you about writing (how would you teach essay writing...), motivation (how do you keep students motivated...), and something about group/pair work. And other things along this line. The university is trying to get more in line with current teaching methods/ approaches...
cmc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: ugru Reply with quote

Hello Crocus,

Don't worry, there were no "sneak attacks" and the panel was very pleasant. I would say, be prepared to talk about your methodology in teaching both reading and writing. Those two areas seemed to be the focus.

We gave the interviews on just three hours sleep (Never take Djibouti Airlines) and its all a bit of a blur, but the process was worth going through. Good luck to you, it looks like a really neat place to teach.

cmc
crocus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, cmc

Thanks for that feedback. I hope that, if you feel it is a place you would like to work, you both get a good offer from them. I'm sure they would be impressed that you managed even to put a few words together after that amount of sleep!

A big plus for me, when thinking of Al Ain, is that it is so near Oman and yet it pays more than you would get here. Life is all about balance, isn't it? Rolling Eyes

All the best,
Crocus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: