Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bringing a cat to the middle east--yet another newbie q.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sprightly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: bringing a cat to the middle east--yet another newbie q. Reply with quote

my feline darling is suffering horribly in canada. his indoor highness is forced to share winter quarters with my sister's white-trash alleycat.

has anyone moved a cat to the ME? (i couldn't find this question here.)
was it complex? yes, of course i can find pet entry requirements online or through an embassy, but what they say and what happens are often worlds apart.

my cat has travelled more than the average canadian, so i'm not worried about the flight; just the technicalities.

chers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprightly,

Actually this has come up before. Try a search on the Oman and UAE sections if nothing showed up on this general board. A poster... was it Shebab?... brought his cats to the UAE from somewhere. Normally your employer can fill you in on the particulars too.

A friend of mine has taken her Cairo street cat to both Bahrain and Kuwait, so as long as your cat can cope with the travel, it is doable. Remember that this is a VERY long flight and it will be VERY hot when you arrive there. The only countries that I am not certain about are Saudi and Qatar, but I have no reason to think that it wouldn't be possible there too.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our colleagues here in Saudi brought his two cats over with him. Didn't appear to have any problem.
sprightly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reassurance. i desperately miss my cat, but didn't have time to get him ready for the 6 month prep time he needed for britain--don't want to go through that again!

found shebab's post, have cut and pasted the relevant bits. Smile
shebab

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me who brought the cats to Saudi! However, they arrived via the UAE, where they had lived with me for 9 months.

First I took them with me personally as checked excess baggage to Abu Dhabi, via KLM airlines. I had arranged the proper paperwork beforehand. When it was time for me to move to Saudi for my new job, I entrusted all the procedures to vet clinics both in Abu Dhabi and in Al Khobar. It cost me A LOT of money, but I didn't have to do a thing but pick them up in Khobar when they got here.

If you need more info or advice, send me a message. You're right when you say that the official word on pet importation is often very different from what really is possible!
yaramaz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently (last week, actually) brought two cats to UAE from Istanbul. Before going, she took the cats to a vet to get microchips of some sort inserted- I think these were like a cat passport/health record. At any rate, nobody checked upon arrival and the cats are happily living in Dubai, I believe.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am puzzled. The Middle East is already full of cats ! Why bring in more !??? Shebab explain why youe bringing coals to Newcastle !
lucy k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaramaz wrote:
A friend of mine recently (last week, actually) brought two cats to UAE from Istanbul. Before going, she took the cats to a vet to get microchips of some sort inserted- I think these were like a cat passport/health record. At any rate, nobody checked upon arrival and the cats are happily living in Dubai, I believe.

Hey! That was me! It was easy. We just needed these things:

1. Kitty passports (i.e. a record of vaccinations, etc.)
2. A letter from their vet saying they are healthy
3. Microchips
4. A certificate of import from a vet in U.A.E.

And how many of these things did they actually check at the airport? Only the last one! And the guy at customs just took it, half-way looked at it, folded it up to throw it away, and waved me through. (I was quite disappointed that the kitties didn't even get scanned with their newly inserted microchips!). Anyway, it was quite easy!
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm desperately trying to find somewhere that I can get a microchip inserted on MY little darling... There is no law requiring chipping here (and why would there be? There are more cats than people!) So I'm struggline to find somewhere to get him done. I've never tried travelling with him (any more than from the street we found him), and I'm not sure how well he'd hold up to any length of journey. He's a VERY feisty young cat, and I think this could be a problem!!! Any suggestions?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekhmet,

There must be a good vet in Alex. Check with AMIDEAST people... I know their old director had cats. A good vet should be able to tell you about the possibilities of microchiping in Egypt. Also, you may have to tranquilize a young energetic kitty - actually most cats travel better with a little chemical relaxation. But, you need to have a vet that knows how to give the right amount.

Another source of information could be a local shipping company.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, the director still has a cat (a little cutie called Jaspar). The only problem is the vet we use now is the vet she recommended to us. She used to have one who came from Cairo, but she doesn't have the contact info of that one any more...

He would definitely need some sort of chilling out for travelling - he's a nightmare most of the time (but oh so sweet when he wants to be!!) I'll ask again about this vet in Cairo - see what happens.

Thanks for the help!!
lucy k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the vet situation is like in Egypt, but here in Turkey it seemed pretty random which vets had microchips and which ones did not. If possible, maybe just call around to as many vets as you can and ask. Are you sure that microchips are required where you're taking your cat?

The information I got about tranquilizers was that a pill will work for about two hours. Then the poor thing will wake up in mid-travel. One vet suggested injections, but that seemed to be a bit much to me. However, the cats I was travelling with were very laid back, so I chose to let them travel with nothing. They were fine and didn't seem to be stressed out at all, but I know this isn't the norm!

Good luck!
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy - thanks for the advice...
The problem is, eventually I want to take him back home to England, and a chip is definitely one of the (many) requirements!! I'll keep looking around, but it seems to be easier said than done in this country...
lucy k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I've heard it's difficult to get pets into England (something to do with being an island?). Good luck with it!
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy - yup, it's hardship all the way getting a cat into the UK!! However, there seems to be a loophole - if your pet lives with you in a country that doesn't have rabies (France, etc.) for 6 months without showing any problems, they can be brought into England on "pet passport". I'm just hoping this works!!! I've heard Bahrain is one of the other countries - that might be a consideration!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: