Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

work in chile, what else

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koshechka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: work in chile, what else Reply with quote

hello
i know that you guys are probably tired of the same questions but i still have some doubts so here goes.
what would i need to work at a university? i am currently working at one here in puebla, mexico and i am planning to go to santiago when this semester ends, how hard will it be to get a job and are all jobs at lang. schools as it seems? i don't have a masters but i do have almost 2 years of experience of teaching here. also, should i worry about visas or should i just come in as a tourist and hope to find something during the month, i am a bit confused about how this works. i am planning to say indefinetly so it would be nice to be sort of legal. also, is june a bad time to find a job? well, i hope someone will respond since i have more questions as well. thank you
liza
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of getting a rejection complex, maybe the reason no one has answered your posting is because they haven't worked at a university in Santiago. By the way, instead of being a forum parasite, I hope you come back when you have found out something and tell us what you need to be able to work at a university in Santiago or are you just going to be a parasite?
BigNorm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While teaching in Santiago, a friend of mine was teaching (still is) in the university system. But he had a tough time getting in. Most importantly, he needed to have all of his documents (resume, credentials, paperwork, transcripts, etc) translated and then legally and properly notorized (very popular it seems in Santiago!). That took him a long time. He found that universities require the appropriate qualifications. Someone with a mater's degree in education (TESOL) will find it very easy getting a university job. Unfortunately, someone with only a teaching certification will find it difficult to find a job outside of privates and insititutes. If you have the required qualifications, emailing the English department or foreign language department isn't the best way to go about getting a job since the department heads have a hard time replying. You should go in person and work your way into scheduling an appointment.

Of course this is only based on my experience. Others may say differently based on their experience.
koshechka

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you bignorm, and don alan, maybe if i had some information i wouldn't be a "forum parasite" as you have ever so graciously called me. i don't know anyone here in puebla who has worked in santiago, mind boggling but a fact. i don't have a masters but i do have two years teaching experience one of which is at the university. i also have almost everything translated professionally. well, thanks again. how about visas, or is that a parasitical question as well? should i just come in as a tourist and try to get something post factum?
Weona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alan, what does one have to do in order to be a forum parasite? Wasn't it you just a few months ago who asked about accomodation in Santiago and information about health insurance and temporary visas, earthquakes, etc? I guess I just don't see the real harm in asking questions such as the ones asked by koshechka.

To answer your question, koshechka, or at least to help a little... I think it really depends on the university where you desire to teach. I know that the major ones like U Catolica de Chile and U de Chile would require a lot of experience and credentials but I know someone who is 21 and an English profesor at a small university on the coast though I think I remember her telling me that she knew a faculty member at the u so perhaps she got the job that way. Knowing people in the teaching field seems to help a lot so it's often difficult for people who have never been to the country to find a job right away. In any case, I think that with 2 years experience at the university level you shouldn't find much difficulty in locating a decent teaching job but I'm not sure if it will be at a unversity or an institute. It doesn't hurt to apply to both. Good luck!
koshechka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much, weona. i don't mind teaching at a language school, it's just that it seems like at the university the hours are more stable and the approach is better. do i have to worry about getting some kind of documentation before i leave or can i just come into the country and hope to handle it from there? i somehow think that to do that i would have to already have a job lined up, no? it was like that here in mexico. so, you're in vina, how is it? i've heard it's really picturesque but at the same time dirty and too "ocupa". what are some negative things that you have noticed about santiago? i've read some of the comments but most people just put that it's a piece of crap without going into detail about it. if anyone has something to say on the matter, it will be appreciated.
ciao
Weona

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need no documentation (other than a current passport) to getting into the country. Technically, it is illegal to teach without having a work visa but the law isn't really enforced and there is a LOT of under-table paying. Getting a working visa is difficult and will depend on where you teach but it isn't necessary if you don't mind boarder hopping every three months. That's what I do, anyhow.

Having a job already lined up before arriving to Chile is almost impossible. I know no one who has been able to do that. I had interviews lined up but that was it.

Vi�a is beautiful and clean, depending on your standards. Much cleaner than Santiago. Right now it's tourist season so it's really crowded and congested and I don't like it but things will clear come mid-March. I like it here because it's on the water and it's close to a lot of things... Santiago being one of them. I don't think I could ever live in Santiago and not because I hate it like many people seem to, but because it's just not my style of city. I like living in smaller towns and I need the ocean nearby. Santiago is huge and dirty and not very appealing to the eye. The people are a little more frio than they are anywhere else but in general I find Chileans to be very warm and friendly South Americans. Santiago is a pretty great place for going out at night and has some really excellent restaurants of all kinds (mexican, japanese, thai, italian). There are always football games to see and lots of cultural events to attend. It lacks a little greenery but there are a few pretty parks and plazas to pass through. I only lived in Santiago for a few months so I really can't say much more about it other than it's really not that bad as some people say it is. Cualquier duda, I'm here to help! Good luck!
koshechka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,weona,
tu mensaje fue muy alentador, gracias
how long have you been living in chile? you mention that you had some interviews lined up, how exacly did you get that? also, since i don't have a masters but want to teach somewhere more or less decent, i am thinking of getting a tefl certificate, any ideas as to which are legitimate? i've read something about international house here and went to their site, it says that the certificate is for the having on-line for about 300 bucks. but there is also an on-site course that can cost as much as 1700. would i be making a mistake picking the cheaper option. who has 1700 anyway? rhetorical question. vina sounds really sweet from what you write but i think that we'll (my boyfriend and i) start off with santiago and see how it goes. well, thanks once more
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A forum parasite is someone who asks questions and never shares or helps someone else: I think I have shared a lot and tried to help.
koshechka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, alan
do YOU have a question about life in puebla, because i am a fountain of knowledge as far as that is concerned, or even better, how about i invent things about santiago. it is neither too hard nor too easy to get a job, the chileans are a nice bunch once you meet them but may seem indifferent until then, speaking spanish is really helpful around chile and there is some petty crime just like everywhere else. anything i missed?
p.s. the only messages i've had from you are in regards to my being a parasite so i don't really see how that is any more productive.
glad to be of help
bzakka

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard that there are some really nice foothill towns around the santiago area. I'm thinking i may just live there and take the daily commute. it may be worth it to have a place away from the smog.

anyone know what quillota is like?
AndyRoofman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

I can tell you from first hand experience in 2003, Quillota is OK for me because I have friends there, but there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do there in terms of activities. By that I mean no decent bars at night, very few good restaurants or cafes (one Mexican, one Chinese), no multiplex cinema, no DVD rooms, museums, art galleries or anything of remote historical interest. The only thing of remote interest is Parque Nacional La Campana, about 15kms away- because there is no direct transport there, you might as well visit there from Vina/Valpo. FYI. it is OK if you want to work in Vina/Valpo (45 mins each way), but probably too far to travel to Santiago daily (2 hours each way).
Gringo Greg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Forum Parasites Reply with quote

I agree, how many different posts do you see about people asking questions about going someplace and once they get there, they never passed on what they learned. The forums only work when people try to share more than what they ask.
Tio-Oso

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Parasites Reply with quote

Are we really bitter enough to call people parasites? Anyway, I think calling koshechka a forum parasite is unfounded at best. I think I have bebefited reading their input. After all, maybe someone asks a question that I didn't think of, thus making me plan and research better. Yeah sure, maybe it was none of my busness but whatever...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: