Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a couple of questions about finding a job in Santiago.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leelers82

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: a couple of questions about finding a job in Santiago. Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone might be able to answer a couple of questions about finding a job in Santiago. I am a recent college graduate with some experience teaching English. However, this was on a volunteer basis. I lived in Santiago for a year and a half, but as a student not as someone looking for employment. Will my lack of experience hurt my chances of finding a job in Santiago? I arrive on the 25th, so I hope to be there as the hiring season starts up. Also, is there anything I should be doing now that will help me find a job when I get there? Is it feasible to make a living wage teaching english classes? Kind of a lot of questions for one post, but I am just trying to get a handle on some things before I leave. Any tips, advice, or just general information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Just to answer your questions briefly. First of all, I think you will get a job and you don't need to worry about that. I don't think you need to be doing anything at the moment because you are coming down in a week and then you just need to start putting yourself in contact with the academies. I'm sure someone will take you on. The problem all the academies have is that people come looking for jobs here but then don't stick it out and leave the academies. I think a lot of people come down thinking Santiago will be an exciting opportunity and then find out it's actually quite a depressing, ugly city especially once the smog killing winter sets in. But in your case you have already lived in Santiago for over a year and that sends out a good signal to potential employers that you are going to be someone reliable.

Good luck
leelers82

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don for the encouragement. I will have to admit that I really do in fact like Santiago. Despite the smog. Do you have any suggestions as to what academies might offer the best positions, especially for someone relatively new to teaching ESL? Thanks again!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the "Job Information Journal" on this web site and you will see some summaries regarding academies. My teaching experience is in Madrid, Spain so I�m not an expert on the Santiago scene, my previous visit to Santiago was for a month in September. I do know of some possibilities and have done a bit of research but with about 10 years ESL experience I�ve been looking at places which demand experience. Having said that, don't be worried because you are going at a good time when demand is high and you should be able to slot in somewhere. I am going back to Santiago on 24 February. Feel free to send me a private message when you are there and if I can help I will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: