Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz Saudi Arabia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:16 am    Post subject: Berlitz Saudi Arabia Reply with quote

I've just seen an ad here on Dave's site for Berlitz positions in Saudi Arabia. They are offering the following:

Basic Salary: 7000 SR ( Tax Free ) monthly ($1,866 U.S./Month).

Instructors work 6 days a week.

Thursday is a half day.

Instructors will be expected to teach between 8-11 units per day. Berlitz teaching units are 45 minutes.

Annual Vacation: 15 days paid vaction after the first 12 months of working.

My question to those of you that might be in the know is, is this a reasonable deal in Saudi Arabia?

I know what it's like to teach 10 or 11 40 minute lessons a day 2 or 3 times a week, as I've done this working in Tokyo - That's a lot of teaching in just one day! However, to to do this 5 or 6 days a week sounds like one of the tougher teaching gigs out there.

As well, when I worked for Berlitz in Korea, those 10 or 11 lessons were not scheduled consecutively. Rathere there were lots of 2 or 3 lesson breaks between classes.

So, Instructors were teaching from 6:45am to 9:10pm every day - Start to finsh.

Last edited by Sunpower on Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
james

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen few jobs posted recently in Saudi that have employment terms as bad as what Berlitz is now advertizing. If you are interested in working in the Magic Kingdom, you won't have to wait long to see jobs on the Jobs Offered Board that are far better in terms of salary, benefits and holidays. Many of the universities and community colleges will soon begin advertizing for positions starting in the Fall. Just wait and check the Job Board daily. I feel sorry in advance for anyone that gets suckered into accepting Berlitz's terrible terms.
Best of luck,
James
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: bad deal Reply with quote

not a good deal
stay away
that is my spin
BEWARE ANY FRANCHISE

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Berlitz Reply with quote

You can get MUCH better than this. Since their inception this outfit have been infamous for lousy contractual conditions. Let us hope that networking through Dave's will reduce the number of gullible newbies who fall for this bait.
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there "much better" in Saudi if you don't have a Master's?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Not a good deal Reply with quote

Dear Sunpower,
I agree with the previous posters - this is a bad deal. But how does GoLeafs know about your qualifications ( unless that's you under another name ), and is he right? For without a Masters, there really ARE no good deals in either the Kingdom or the UAE, as far as I know.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: better than Be****z Reply with quote

I do not have a Master's and I am doing okay in Saudi. I would avoid the franchises if I could. Poor conditions, high turnover and it does not look good on the cv (for those over the pond, a cv is what we quaint old Britons call a "resume")
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John:

No. That's not my post.

I noticed another Berlitz offer a month or so ago.

This one was for less money - maybe for about 6,000 SR a month!

I suppose these positions don't require an M.A. though.

SCOT - How are you able to get yourself a descent position without an M.A.?

I assume things are pretty competitive is K.S.A - Sounds like most places, except the franchises like Berlitz, want quality instructors.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Supply and demand Reply with quote

Dear Sunpower,
I been informed that the universities and other " institutions of higher learning " are not quite as " degree-happy " here now as they used to be. And, to my mind, that's a good thing. It's probably due, at least in part, to supply and demand - not all that many teachers are too eager to come to the Kingdom to begin with, and, with the current situation in the Middle East, even fewer are seeking work here. That was certainly indicated at the last TESOL conference, where the IPA's recruting team, which usually averaged about 25 or so applicants in the past, had only 8 this time. As I said, I'm glad to see it happen - if I were hiring, I'm pretty sure I'd favor a BA with some solid experience rather than an MA right out of university.
Over the years, I've seen more good teachers with BAs and experience than I have MAs fresh out of university who've never, in many cases, even been abroad before.
Regards,
John
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I only know about my qualifications. I don't have a Master's and am having a hard time finding a job in KSA.
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
If you know of any schools that will accept teachers who have a BA I would love some contact info. So far Berlitz is the only one and the amount of work does seem a high compared to a lot of other jobs.

Maybe the obvious choice is to finish my MA and apply at a later date.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: qualifications and experience Reply with quote

Dear GoLeafs,
What's your BA in and how much EFL ( overseas ) experience do you have? If the answers are: 1. In English, English Ed. with a CELTA or other TEFL certificate; and 2. three or more years overseas experience, then I'd say try the universities ( especially KFUPM, which is probably the best of the lot ) or the IPA.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a BA in English , a TEFL qualification and a couple of years experience you will find something better than Berlitz, particulary now.

Remember that once you've worked for Berlitz, or any other employer, they can block you from working in Saudi for another employer for between one and three years.
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the prompt replies.

John, what if the answers to your questions are 1. BA General (I was a very indecisive student) and 2. none?
Most of what I've read, mainly from all of these very informative posts, clearly indicates that the English teaching situation in the Middle East is quite different from that in Asia. I realize that my experience is lacking but I figure I'll keep sending out resumes and talking to people in the hopes of finding something. Do you think I am wasting my time?

Stephen, when you say TEFL qualication do you mean a 2 day course or a university program? I thought about taking the abbreviated version but thought it would be a waste of time and money. I've been looking for work in Turkey as well. Many of the schools there seem to offer some sort of training/orientation period that lasts longer than some of the TEFL courses I've seen. I would consider taking more university schooling if I discovered that TEFL is something I would like to do for a prolonged period of time.

Regardless, that Berlitz contract smells like a bag of crap (I don't know if I can say this on here). What's the point in going to another country to experience another culture if you will be working non-stop?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Talking Turkey Reply with quote

Dear GoLeafs,
No, I wouldn't say you're wasting your time; you never know what might turn up and being " pro-active " ( God, I hate that word ) is almost always better than saying, " Heck, what's the use? ". But I'd avoid all the " factory franchises "; I don't think there are any that are worth working for, anywhere. Turkey sounds like a good choice for you to get some of that necessary overseas experience - everybody's got to start somewhere. Heck, it couldn't be any worse than my first EFL job, which was, literally, revolting. I went to Iran in 1978. Actually, the job was fine and I loved the country, but my timing was, shall we say, less than fortunate. One last point - if you do come to Saudi Arabia sometime, you almost certainly won't " get to experience ( much of ) another culture " here. It's a very insular society and ex-pats are inevitably left on the outside, looking in.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: