Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing a bird into Kuwait--any advice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KathyK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Bringing a bird into Kuwait--any advice? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've officially accepted a position at a university in Kuwait which will begin this fall. I'll be moving from New York City to Kuwait sometime this July or August. Now I'm starting to think about the practicalities of the move. I have a very small companion bird (a cockatiel) who I'd like to bring with me. Does anyone have any experience with bringing birds to Kuwait? So far the only airline I've found who will allow me to bring him with me in the cabin is Delta and their codeshare partner Air France. Are there any airlines I don't know about which might allow me to bring my bird with me on the flight?

Also, it seems like there is a lot of tricky paperwork involved. I've read the official web sites now I'm wondering if anyone has some insider advice.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy (and SimSim the cockatiel)

Last edited by KathyK on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
KathyK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason the species of my bird is being "beeped" out. I guess the name of his species sounds a little too much like a part of the male anatomy for us college professors to handle. How strange. I guess you'll have to just accept on faith that he's small.

Kathy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kathy,

Posting obscene messages here, eh? I think we get the drift. Cool

I don't know of anyone who took a bird over. I'm wondering if your employer will allow you to decide your airline. They normally do not. You may want to ask them.

VS
KathyK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, yet another thing to worry about. The dean who is helping me get the paperwork for importing the bird suggested several airlines that might be amenable to having the bird in the cabin so I'm assuming I'm free to choose my airline. To tell you the truth, I'd pay the difference out of my own pocket if it meant being able to bring him with me in the cabin instead of in cargo. Sounds crazy, I know. But he's my pal and we're going to have this new adventure together. Besides, his name is Arabic (SimSim) and he needs to live in a place where people don't say "What? Simpson?" when they meet him!

I'm still holding out here for that one person who has lived in Kuwait and brought their bird with them. Any takers? I might well be the only one in history!

Kathy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KathyK

Since he mentioned different airlines, you may be fine. At the level of EFL teachers, we tend to have little area of negotiation here. Places like KU naturally require that you fly Kuwait Air - even when it doesn't go into your area. You have to go the long way with lousy connections and long layovers... ugh. Since this is a private university, they can set their own rules and it is easier to get adjustments.

I thought about your bird idea and I don't recall anyone overseas having a bird at all. I guess we will have to wait to see if someone wanders by and knows more.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is it , a cockatoo or a cockerel?

If it's the former give it a map and tell it to fly off on its own!
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing Stephen. I reckon it's either a budgie or a parrot.
KathyK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bird is a cockatiel. Why can you write cockatoo and cockerel without being censored?

Kathy
KathyK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Big Brother is definitely watching me!! This is scary. I'll have to be a little crafty here. My bird's species is the offending word that refers to the male reproductive organ followed by "-atiel." He's just a little tiny guy and definitely wouldn't be able to fly to Kuwait on his own.

Kathy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that Mr Jones has managed to trick the censoring system Smile. Unfortunately the type of birds that we keep as pets don't tend to be the migratory types. I wonder if that is a factor in accepting caging... but I digress.

BTW, I do recall that there are birds for sale in the pet stores around the gulf, so I assume you wouldn't have trouble getting supplies.

VS
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so your bird's a c0ckatiel? I've always had problems with spelling c0ckatiel.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earn yourself some merit (as they do in Thailand) by releasing your c@ckatiel in Central Park. Then purchase a new one in Kuwait.
KathyK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep him, thanks.
KathyK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the off chance that there's any other person who wants to bring a bird into Kuwait (although after much research in many different places I'm convinced that I'm the first person in history to ever ask about bringing a bird into Kuwait!), I'd like to share my findings. It pertains to other kinds of animals too so others might benefit.

The International Veterinary Hospital in Kuwait City acts as the governmental liaison and helps you to get the import permit necessary to get your animal into the country. The manager, a woman named Jo Thomas, is extremely helpful and very nice. The hospital has a very large and well-presented website which provides a lot of important information about bringing your animal over. They also provide veterinary care and boarding facilities for animals there.

Thanks all for your help back when I first posted the question!

Kathy
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: boids Reply with quote

Falconry is a big thing in neighbouring Saudi Arabia. I suspect there must be keen falconers in Kuwait too. The chances are that there is quite a lot of traffic - not sure about cackatools though
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: