Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP! need moral support
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cazzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: HELP! need moral support Reply with quote

Im teaching in a private koleji and think im going to go insane! I am finding the total lack of discipline so difficult. I was beginning to think it was because im a foreign teacher but the students are the same with the turkish teachers in every dept.
I have tried every possible way to keep them interested, including games, using music,film,tv etc but it is proving very wearing.
In my previous life i taught students in Scotland who had serious behaviour problems and have also taught in Africa so it's not from lack of experience.
I'm stuck between a rock and a very hard place, any ideas? Sad
calsimsek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start drinking, and don't try so hard. The more you try, the more they will play up. Fail the kids and call the parents.
cazzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers sounds like good advice Wink
molly farquharson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think call the parents first and then threaten to fail the kids. emphasize your professionalism and the needs of the kids, etc. good luck
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Steady girl ,not so fast ! Reply with quote

Hi Cazzy

Firstly you work in a private instuition ,basically the kids rule or at least their parents do ,when it comes to crunch time guess who they will defend .
I would like to know at least which city you are in ,that might give me a better picture of your situation ,also the age of the kids would be useful .Using any form of descipiline to bring them around to your way of thinking ,it may be too late already if the die has been cast ,at best you can only go for damage limitation and preserve some of your lost self esteem .
I hope there are other yaban�i teachers there who may be able to offer advice ,if not then maybe you have more going for you than you know .
Faustino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a real American president once said; 'I feel your pain.'

Whatever else you do, make sure you start drinking.
bigbadsuzie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think hitting the bottle will help ,moral support has never been found in a bottle in my experience ,you need to keep your wits about you girl and devise a series of stratgies .Don't hit the sauce ! I would disregard that advice if I were you .
Faustino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about water. Drink plenty of water. Some people naturally assume that TEFLers are a bunch of habitual drunkards. I can't imagine where this misconception has come from. I posted a sth on the 'Smokers you're gonna die thread about the benefits of water consumption. I don't think, however, that this alone will solve your problems.
vre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh right!

But a drink or two (not water) does help at the end of a day to destress!

Seriously though, I have got friends who work in schools and kolejis and they have experienced exactly the same. One even left after a week!

Students don't listen (esp to foreign teachers)
Students too noisy, run riot
Heads change teachers grades to please parents.
Teachers never win in a private school or kolej

Some of my friends solved (as best they could) the problem by either being VERY strict with them using punishment systems, non violent Confused (apparently that is all these students know and anything less will be taken advantage of) or setting up very effective reward systems like collecting something (e.g. tokens) for good behaviour and at the end of the week would be rewarded in some way depending on how many they had accumulated.

Any ideas on reward systems anyone?
preston

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my school they are trying out a pilot scheme where they give all the kids a handout with 4 or 5 examples of typical bad behaviour and a selection of possible punishments for each one. These range from extra homework, preparing a lesson to give to the class to detentions, calling the parents etc. As a positive incentive, the children who get no punishments each month will get a reward. Not sure how this is going to work as the main problem I see is the school's reluctance to upset the all-important parents by enforcing these rules. We'll see
corall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know what to say there cazzy. it's normal when the kids are rich and the parents run everything. try not to let it get you down and don't let them see fear or frustration or you'll be finished. their like dogs in that sense i think...

at my school they have a self tracking behavior system - if they are really bad they have a book where the kids get it graded by the teacher at the end of each class 3 being rotten 1 being good (or vice versa). then they discuss with the consellor or something like that. they have to carry it around until they go through a week it is, i think, of all perfect scores.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: welcome to Turkey Reply with quote

Quote:
Im teaching in a private koleji and think im going to go insane! I am finding the total lack of discipline so difficult. I was beginning to think it was because im a foreign teacher but the students are the same with the turkish teachers in every dept.
I have tried every possible way to keep them interested, including games, using music,film,tv etc but it is proving very wearing.
In my previous life i taught students in Scotland who had serious behaviour problems and have also taught in Africa so it's not from lack of experience.
I'm stuck between a rock and a very hard place, any ideas?

This is typical behaviour for students in private Kolej....and one can only commiserate with you. There is very little you can do at this stage in the year....just try to do at least some form of damage control.

Kudos to you for sticking it out as long as you have done (you presumably started in September) and now it is just a matter of a few months before the end of the year. Ghost was not prepared to put up with the nonsense....and lost his job well before Christmas. He had never witnessed such infantile/inane behaviour....and probably never will again....those Turkish cocuklar do not have anyone who can match them anywhere in the world.....disturbing stuff was seen and lived...

The only thing you might do to swing things around would be to get the admin. and some parents on your side. Try to convene a meeting to address the concerns you have (and some of the other teachers) and formulate a plan to curb the undesirable behaviour. This is a long shot....but you might try it anyway.
monkel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think you can solve this problem, merely alleviate the symptoms. i did my year (which was exacerbated by other problems than the students) and then switched. i suggest you seek work outside the koleji system. there is plenty of it.

generally i think you get more money at kolejis, when you count in the nice apartments, lots of hols etc. free bits and pieces.... but is money the most important thing? not for most of us - we'd do sth other than teaching if this were true.

don't stay miserable for a year! quit and get another job. there are always ways to do it!

good luck
calsimsek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on. Don't give up cazzy. Life in a K-12 is not a bed of roses, so what. After a while the kids get to know you and you know them. You can win. If you look at this forum, you would think that no one can teach in the school system. Well I have meet many people who have taught in the system for over 10 years. you can do it. Just lay back a bit, let the kids know that you will fail them without question. Let them know that your the boss, If you don't have faith in your self; then the kids will chase you out like all other sad no hopers who gave up. Give youself a pat on the back. As ghost said you have already seen out most of the year. That summer pay is only 70 work days away.
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Calsimsik's motion- after all, I survived 2 years in a kolej and my second year was much better than my first due to a steep learning curve and getting to know and understand what made the kids tick. I thought about staying a third year but the city itself was too depressing and conservative and isolated. That was the biggest factor in my move.
Stick it out for now and see how you feel when the sun shines more brightly and holidays loom more closely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: