Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prince Sultan College for Tourism & Hotel Sciences (P.S.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovide

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Prince Sultan College for Tourism & Hotel Sciences (P.S. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about working here. I have been shortlisted for employment here but the information is a little scant on the websight and in the job description. Question Exclamation

doug
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they offering ? Not only the money but vacation and housing are important. How many tickets a year ? Family staus ? Education allowance for dependant children ?

Terms on offer in Saudi are comparatively worse that they were 10 or 20 years ago. It is no longer a place to come and save huge sums of money.

I have no direct information about PSC but there was some information over on the Job Information Journal.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince Sultan College is in Abha. It's the Saudi side of the Rift Valley, so the scenery is breathtaking, but in winter it's cold, rainy and foggy. And it's a little isolated

Prince Sultan doesn't pay that well but the working conditons are good with small classes; I think they are still using "Headway" as the basic text. Holidays should be standard academic holidays, and the housing is fairly good. I've got an ex-colleague who has been there since it's inaugaration and is quite happy, and we have a couple of ex-staf from there at Jubail.

In general I would say you oould do worse, as long as you can entertain yourself.

The negative post on the job information journal is considered to be biased by my contacts. You decide
carl44

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Prince Sultan College , Abha saudi Arabia Reply with quote

I have been teaching at PSC for 3 years now. I personally have not had any problems with working here. The English Department Head is a supportive reasonable man as is the Dean of the College. The administrative staff are a mixed bag of competency but in general are okay. A friendly bunch of guys!

It depends on your personality I guess, how you handle day to day situations. I generally don't sweat the small stuff. There hasn't been any really big problems for me.
The college pays you on time, accommodation is good and within walking distance to college. The hours are very good and you have a lot of freedom in the classroom. The students are great, granted some what docile but you get a mixture of ability. Decent holiday time.

The downside is that the college does not offer any incentives to keep teachers. ie pay increases. However, it is a good place to work and gain experience. Abha is a quiet place and the weather is the best in Saudi, never too hot or too cold( Okay, it can get nippy in the winter) Yes, it can get foggy and it does rain but not that often. It is a mountainous region and does take a while to adjust to the thin air.

I give PSC a thumbs up and if you are able to occupy your freetime you should be able to cope. Security has not been a problem. I have found the locals to be friendly or at most indifferent/ aloof. I have not had any problems with security in my apartment. They also have free housekeeping, clean towels and sheets weekly...as the apartments are part of a hotel complex. Fully furnished with TV You will have to buy some of your own pots and pans etc.if you are going to cook.

Mostly, I spend my free time at home and the health club. I have been here for three years so have pretty much seen what I want to see of the area.
I have a new job at IPA, Riyadh this September;on to a new situation and new teaching challenges. If they had offered a pay increase here at PSC I would have stayed. ( I don't like moving) If you have any specific questions email me.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Dear carl44,
Were you the gentleman I met when Paul locked himself out of his apartment and had to come up to my place for his spare key? If that sentence means nothing to you - sorry, wrong guy. But whoever you are, welcome to the IPA. I won't get to see you since I'll be leaving on an exit only in July. But I think you'll find the IPA's a good place to work. And, from what you wrote in your posting, I'd say you'll fit in quite well here. All the best.
Regards,
John
P.S. As you probably already know, one area the IPA is NOT so good about is providing " furnished " housing. You're going to have to buy linens, kitchen stuff, etc. But there is a pretty good gym/swimming pool.
carl44

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: PSC Reply with quote

Hi, first let me reply to you John.
Thanks for encouragement. I'm not the fellow you are thinking of Smile I did have a very good interview with Paul at IPA and am completely aware of the housing situation. BTW I do all my own house cleaning here anyways, no problem. I don't mind spending a bit of cash to make my home livable. I am sorry I will not get to meet you in person as by the time I arrive you will already have departed. Sad

As for Ovid? (the proud Canadian) PSC has free internet service for all staff. There are 2 computers in the English teachers office area. Also there are two student computer labs that have internet access. The internet isn't always working 100%

You can also get internet at home, I use the prepaid internet cards ~is the way to go as you can not use the college connection from home. Getting set up may take time but once you get your private outside line then the rest is relatively smooth sailing. Don't make the mistake of using the front desk operator(9) to connect to the internet as they charge much more than your own private line.

I am an optimist at heart and as I stated before, "things " may not necessarily go the way you plan all the time and must realize that you are in Saudi Arabia. If you have never worked here before it will take time to adjust to the way things are done. Just hang loose and eventually it all works out. Don't assume anything, when in doubt...do ask questions...the very least you will get~ Enshallah! ( God Willing)

I personally don't like to discuss specific salary numbers on this forum. If you want send me a private email; I will tell you. If you have recieved an interview then you should have been told what to expect. If you have a Master's Degree with some experience you should be okay(comfortable). For your first posting in KSA, I think you will be okay at PSC. You could certainly do much worse! If you find it's not what you want...the school year goes by quick enough you can move on. You will have gained some good solid KSA experience!

The salary isn't the highest but it was okay for me as I wanted to live in this area. The salary was enough for me to live very well and pay off my student loans and exhorbitant visa bill. I am now debt free and with a good start on my savings. You will be able to save money here with out being miserly. If you are miserly then heh! You can really save a bundle!

Once again everybody has a different opinion on what a person is worth and what one should get for living in this country. I am a patient man and have been steadily working my way up the pay ladder as I gain relevant experience. The money is important but it's not just about the money I also enjoy teaching and interested in the educational system of this country. It is truly fascinating!!! Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear carl44,
On the strength of your postings, I'm sorry I'm not going to get to meet you. You sound like someone worth knowing. I believe you'll enjoy your time with the IPA; there are a lot of good people on the staff there. That's one of the few regrets I have about leaving - but I plan to stay in touch with a number of them.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: