Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cost of living and vacation time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted information on this topic--which is when you decided to go into a hallucinatory state and disagree with me--insisting that one can live like a prince in Mexico on 3,000 pesos a month. I do not believe you live in Mexico....
tonydicer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life in a small town is certainly different than Mexico City.

Last edited by tonydicer on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
tonydicer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Moony,

I don't believe I stated I lived like a prince. I got by, and didn't complain. So, stop quoting people if you can't get it correct.

Last edited by tonydicer on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
jacqui

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out I'm not looking for an apology. My hope was that some people would understand how this is affecting people who do not understand your long lasting relationship (if only a negative one) with each other. What we see is legitimate questions no longer being answered because the thread has been taken over with insults. I'm assuming that those of you that have joined this site did so because you have valuable experience you would like to share with people like myself that are in need of it. For that I am grateful. From what I've been told by other member's they have made this statement before but this continues. If your insults greatly out number the amount of usefull information you have provided then my question is why are you really here? You have a right to freedom of speech and of course to believe that an individual's personality is one you dislike. Why seek so much interaction with someone that you obviously dislike? Please do us all a favour and choose to either ignore her or give a polite response disagreeing with her views ON THE TOPIC instead of an attack on personality.
Thanks,
Jacqui
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: cost of living and vacation time Reply with quote

mikesspamlessemail wrote:
Just wondering what people have found they're spending month to month in different countries.

Also was wondering what a standard contract provides in terms of vacation time- paid or unpaid.

The local immigration office where I live used to require proof of 3 consecutive bank deposits of at least $900 USD per month for people who applied for non-working FM-3 or FM-2 visas. (The amount may be higher now; I'm not sure.) Anyway, my point in mentioning this is that's what the local immigration office considered minimum financial resources needed to live comfortably here. A few years ago, that would've been more than enough to live quite comfortably in this city. However, during the past 5 or 6 years the cost of most things has doubled or tripled: rent, food, public transportation, utilities . . . almost everything. In this city, which is not a cheap place to live by Mexican standards, I think a person could still live conservatively on $800 USD per month or maybe even less (emphasis on conservatively.)

It's hard to respond to your question about standard contracts, because many language schools here don't actually provide contracts, standard or otherwise. There may be some local language schools that give holiday pay, but I'm not aware of any. I also don't know of any local language schools that provide housing or anything else beyond regular wages except for the legally required aguinaldo (end-of-year bonus.) Where I teach (not a language school,) I get 9-10 weeks of paid holidays per year: 3 weeks for summer break, 2 weeks for the Christmas / New Year holidays, 2 weeks for Semana Santa, and between 2 and 3 weeks' worth of other days off scattered throughout the year. That's a rather recent development pushed through by the sindicato. Up until a couple of years ago, all those holidays were unpaid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: