Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calling all Canucks in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dezza

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Calling all Canucks in China Reply with quote

Hi fellow Canucks in China, I'm on my way to Dalian and wondering if any of you had to get a medical checkup (doctor fills in a medical form for Chinese government) in Canada before going to China.

I've gone to the Chinese embassy in Canada website and it does not mention anything about a medical exam needed in Canada. On the other hand, my employer says I may need one done (They are a US company in China). I called the Chinese embassy on two separate occasions and one person said I need one and one person said I didn't..so what gives??

Please let me know if you had your experience prior to leaving Canada on this issue! Many thanks!

Dezza Very Happy
M3tt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Medical exam Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese bureaucracy. I've been in China for a while and here is what I can give you.

.........had to get a medical checkup (doctor fills in a medical form for Chinese government) in Canada before going to China.
For a work visa, yes. Your doctor should fill in the form which you can find on most Chinese consulate web sites. It's two pages. MOST consulates (not all) only want the filled out form and don't require the X-Rays. When you get to China they will require you take another physical for your resident's permit. Most schools pay for this one in China.

I've gone to the Chinese embassy in Canada website and it does not mention anything about a medical exam needed in Canada.
These are only for work visa employees. If you're on a business visa you don't need it.

On the other hand, my employer says I may need one done (They are a US company in China). I called the Chinese embassy on two separate occasions and one person said I need one and one person said I didn't..so what gives??
Typical of the consulates. Chinese overseas offices are pretty autonomous in how hard they enforce the rules and the answer you get very often depends on who you talk to, how they feel that day, and whether or not they are actually interested in helping or showing who's in control. Be safe and get all paperwork done or you'll be stuck.

Get ready because once you get to China the regulations and culture shock can be frustrating. It's always interesting here.
gmat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Medical in Canada - Don't Reply with quote

When I was coming to China, I researched here at Dave's and almost every China vet said not to bother getting the medical done before arriving because you would have to get one done here anyhow. This advice proved correct in my case as a fellow teacher at my University who had her medical done in the US, still had to have one done in China with the rest of us. Save your money, but get your shots.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: