Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this realistic...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Is this realistic...? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, just wondering if any of you could help...

I'm on a gap year before I start univeristy here in the UK and am hoping to spend some time in a French speaking country in Europe between now and September.

I was hoping for my time abroad wouldn't cost me anything - by that I mean for the cost of a TEFL course, transport to/from whereever I go and living expences could be paid for out of what I earnt.

Do you think this is realistic? I don't have a TEFL qualification at the moment, so that means I would be looking for somewhere that would be happy to take newly-qualified teachers. I am an EU national, so there shouldn't be any work permits needed. The only other thing is that I don't have a degree and on preliminary investigation it appears quite a few language schools require that. And I'm only 19 at the moment too and my French is not excellent (but that's one of the main reasons why I want to go).

Also, does anyone have any ideas on where would I would have the best chances of finding employment? I was initially thinking of Paris but I have sort of discounted that because of the high cost of living and too many people chasing too few jobs. What about the other larger towns in France? Strasbourg/Marseille/Orleans etc?

Thanks for your help! It is really appreceiated.
eo-nomine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

CELTA courses here in Paris cost around EUR1500/UKP1000, other TEFL course might be cheaper but not MUCH cheaper. I don't know the exact prices for those, but I think you should expect to pay at least EUR1000 for a one-month course. Most TEFL courses are also pretty intensive, so you won't have time to work while you're on the course... you might find a few privates here and there, but not enough to make a living.

However, you will need TEFL qualification to work as a junior high school/high school assistant, or to work in an independant language school. As an assistant, you could probably get around 12/15 teaching hours a week, but hardly more, and the pay won't be anything near good. But, your TEFL tutors will probably have some advice on where to find jobs teaching English.

I don't know much about TEFL courses and work outside of Paris... but you WILL find ads for jobs in la Province in Paris. Plenty of those, too. It might sound strange, but France is an extremely centralised country, and you will find ads for language schools in say Nantes, Lyon, Montpellier, Lille or wherever, in Paris (as well as in the said towns, of course). In other towns, however, you will mostly find jobs for the town itself and the region it is in. So, in this regard, Paris might offer you more opportunities than other provincial cities.

Accomodation in Paris: a good option might be to find shared accomodation. You can find shared accomodation for about EUR200/month, but most will cost around EUR300/UKP200. Otherwise, private rooms will range from EUR350 to EUR700 or 800, depending on the size, location, etc. Rooms in the far suburbs might be cheaper, but then you'll have to go through the hassle of buying cartes oranges for several zones (roughly EUR15 per zone after zone 2), and it might turn out not to be such a good deal in the end.

Other large towns in France will overall be cheaper than Paris (except perhaps places like St Tropez in the summer, but eh), plus, cities like Toulouse or Lyon are nice, and come April they're warm and sunny... hm, perhaps someone else will have something more relevant to say about la Province. ; ) Oh yeah, if I were you I'd google 'locations Paris (or Lille, Lyon, whatever)' on google.fr (you don't want to look at ads for foreigners, do you?) to get an idea of the prices. Keep in mind that there ARE good deals to be found once you get there, but at least it'll give you an idea of how much accomodation will cost.

Finally, I guess you need to come with some reasonable funds... it'll take time to start earning money, but it's possible to pull it off. Bonne chance!
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: teaching in France Reply with quote

Your biggest handicap at a language school will be your age - but you can't change that can you?

Take a look at www.pagesjaunes.fr
In the rubrique type "enseignement langues"
Type in the name of a city, and click.
You will have all the local language schools which you can contact - many have internet sites too.

On another thread it has been mentioned that it is much easier to find a job once you are in country.
Littlebird

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Is this realistic ? Reply with quote

However, you will need TEFL qualification to work as a junior high school/high school assistant, or to work in an independant language school. As an assistant, you could probably get around 12/15 teaching hours a week, but hardly more, and the pay won't be anything near good. But, your TEFL tutors will probably have some advice on where to find jobs teaching English.

Someone said the above but how can you make enough to live on working only 15 hours per week ? The question was Is this realistic ? Meaning can one make a living ? Isn't it a bit stupid to go out there and end up not being able to eat or going into debt. I think people should say it how it is.
efoot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: english assistant Reply with quote

I don't know if the rules are different for American assistants and English ones, but I tought conversation classes in France last year w/o a degree or certification. There were plenty of English there who were still at Uni and didn't have a degree. We were paid fairly well for only working 15 hours a week, about 750 euros, enough to live on.
Littlebird

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Is this realistic ? Reply with quote

Efoot

Where did you work ? Could you please give details address of school etc ? If you earnet that kind of money I will go out there.

SAM
lostinparis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what efoot means is 750 euros per MONTH for (officially) 12 hours of work per week.
amandajoy99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the assistantship program would be a good option for you. as others have mentioned, you don�t need qualifications or a degree. the 750 a month is plenty to live on, especially since it is quite likely you will get free housing. lycees generally house their assistants and often if you work at a college or ecole primaire which doesn�t have housing a nearby lycee will offer you housing for free. if you don�t mind living at a high school, that is. normally you would be living separately from the students, with other assistants. and since you work only 12 hours a week you could give private lessons or babysit for extra cash. you don�t get to choose your city, though, you only get to request a region. if you are interested this is the site:
http://frenchculture.org/education/support/assistant/index.html
feel free to contact me if you have questions, i did the program last year. good luck.
Littlebird

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Is this realistic ? Reply with quote

I have looked at the Assistantship program before. I am British ! Also the British program requires you to have an A level which of course I don't have.

I wonder if they would accept a DELF which is slightly less than an A level ?

Bummer !
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, why not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: