Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nasilsiniz?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadfly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody ,

Hi Corall ....yess i know some people write something without thinking very well...I am sure if i go to Canada with my husband i would offend about somethings or diffrences aswell....but i think i would not tell him Canadians are disgusting or smell badly etc etc ...cuz he is Canadian and i would make my critics more carefully ....everybody can say their idea or critics but there is more polite way to say somethings ....He ıs really very good man but sometımes he does not know the borders between crıtıcs and ınsults

Whynotme ,,,,,yess when i enter public bus ın Turkey , i don`t like people smell aswell but as i explained if there are 100 people enter same bus in same time it is possible bad smell sure plus Turkey is hot country not cold like Canada so people sweats a lot .....yess some people put their garbages in streets , some people spit on street in Turkey and we call this kind of people ' Maganda' ın Turkey as you know .....but my sister lived in England long time and she told there are more Magandas there that they put their meals in streets, they vomit, after they drink a lot and fast they fight , after they exit bars etc etc ....so these are wrong thıngs but not only Turkey s problem anyway maybe I could just laugh and make jokes about thıs ıf another person tell these comments but when my husband tell somethıng about my culture ı easıly offended sınce he told me you Turks stole all meals from Greeks to tell the truth ıf he call Istanbul as Constantınopolıs I would not suprısed so much

We all come from dıffrent cultures , dıffrent values , dıffrent habbıts , and truths change culture the culture and person to person so there ıs only one way to get along and lıve pıecefull together that ıs to be more polıte and carefull when we talk or crıtıc each other
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my sister lived in England long time and she told there are more Magandas there
Not technically true. They are called chav. But yes it is more common in the Uk than Turkey. one of reasons I left the UK was beause I didn't like the way society was going. I came to Turkey in 1992. I've spent most of my adult life here. I feel more at home in Turkey than the UK.
ardabay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I think the smell on the buses can be tolerated to some extent, u know the more people on the bus the worse it becomes that�s acceptable but when it comes to spitting on the streets and throwing garbage all around, that�s another thing. Throwing things to the sea while riding on a boat is the worst of all I guess. Whenever I see someone throwing a cigarette butt to the sea I just want to grab his legs and dump him right into the sea and I�m afraid I�ll have to do that one day. While I was a student at university, I used to go to Eminonu by boat every day and I always had quarrels with people about throwing things to the sea. I was trying to make them understand this was wrong and I remember saying things like �The sea is not capable of cleaning itself, is it?� and I also remember getting replies like �There�s no need to worry cos the fish can eat�em all and keep our seas clean�. �Eğitim şart !� if u know what I mean Smile By the way, I don�t know whether we stole any meals from the Greeks but there�s one thing I�m sure of, they stole baklava from us Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
calsimsek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Travellinggirl68,

Normally I would lay off a thread thats been going for a while but some of the comments here are so wrong I had to say somthing. I think you will find that although you have never been to Turkey, you know it better than some of the people here.
Ghost for one can come off as an expert after what he said himself was a short time.

I've been here for over 13 years and have been to places most Turks will never go to in this country. Theres full range of views and styels here to every thing.

Water is no problem along the north west cost of the black sea and along the south east of the Med and Agean sea so here people tend to be cleaner. They have no tradition of worring about water. In the southeast its different. Up to less than 6 years ago there was no running water at all in Urfa and the area around it. The Turks have spent millons and millons building the G.A.P dams to give the center and southeast the water it never has had.

The thing with showers is that Turks have a fear of catching a cold. So in winter they wash less. This fear while taken to extream is vaild. Most Turks, ( most of the women) lack iron so they feel the cold. It common illness and pregent women here take pills to build up their own blood supply.

As to food The Turk's come from your apart of the world. Most of the Veg dish come from the Greeks, there are no vine leafs in central Turkey. Kebab is Turkish as is Siskebaba. As to baklava, thats from Syria not Turkey. The Best baklava in the country comes from Antep 4 hours form the boarder and 8 hours from Apolo the second city in Syria.

I said I've been here for awhile and I may come off as a know it all, yet theres still alot I don't know. If you live in a country, then enjoy it. Who gives us the right to come here and Judge them 'smelly people on the bus'
No one Evil or Very Mad .
Baba Alex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Quote:
my sister lived in England long time and she told there are more Magandas there
Not technically true. They are called chav. But yes it is more common in the Uk than Turkey. one of reasons I left the UK was beause I didn't like the way society was going. I came to Turkey in 1992. I've spent most of my adult life here. I feel more at home in Turkey than the UK.

Indeed, what you guys seem to forget that this is a crowded city, most of the major cities I've been to Rome, Paris, London, Birmingham, Berlin, Moscow a a few others, have smelly people, and a bit of rubbish (especially Paris, that place is well dirty). All except for Brussels and Bruge in Belgium, which are so clean they freak me out. I didn't want to touch anything.
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Stop the Insanity! Reply with quote

However did it turn into this conversation?? Rolling Eyes I am accustomed to the scent of washed but un-deoderized males - I find it strangely intoxicating! The only place I have been that was truly smelly was in New York City in an area where fish is displayed outside on the street all day long - and I am not a fan of fish!

Now, will someone please give me the background details about Eastenders already? Laughing References to good Turkish music or places to see?? Anyone?? Razz
Faustino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbccanada.com/dramas/eastenders.asp

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/eastenders/eastenders.htm

Enough to get you started.
whynotme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tg68,
there is no need to watch it,follow the eastenders threaed... it is enough....
Faustino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some would say too much.
justme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the smelliest people in the world are to be found in Eugene Oregon at Saturday Market in the ranks of lost Deadheads and (wish we still had a movement) Hippies. These are people who have moral objections to soap, even bio-degradeable soap. They don't realise that even if you wash your dreads, they never quite dry properly and your head still smells like that wet towel you forgot under the bed. Worse, there's an underground pseudo-anarchist movement of people who don't bathe as a matter of principle-- throwing off the shackles of bourgoise notions of hygiene, or something to that effect. Greenish teeth and a layer of filth it would take a wire brush to remove...

And I know we (expat teachers) tend to make sweeping generalisations about Turks, their habits, and their culture. I'm sure I'm guilty of quite a few and I apologise if I've offended-- I don't really think about Turkish people reading this (and I would certainly discourage my husband from doing so-- you're quite right to feel insulted). For myself, I need to let off steam sometimes. Being foreign, you're always an outsider-- it's Us and Them, especially during a bad week. Maybe more for me, since I'm sometimes the only foreigner I see or talk to for varying stretches of time, so those petty annoyances take a different face. And I admit there are times of feeling justified in generalising after listening all day to students and other Turkish friends or acquaintances saying things like 'Foreigners do such-and such, foreigners eat such-and-such, foreigners think/believe such-and-such...', as though we're all exactly the same, from this one big horrible Christian country where they all eat raw fish and dogs, go outside with wet hair, and are plotting to keep Turkey out of the EU based on the things they learned in Midnight Express (which I've never seen).

Nope, not a dig at Turks, just a vent. See how easily it happens? Embarassed
corall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i too do the sweeping generalizations of turkey when i have bad living in turkey days... Sad
Baba Alex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with making generalisations, it's the easiest way to make an observation about society. It's when we treat individuals with predudice that it becomes a problem.
googlebrains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how was your interview?
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to several people on this forum, what I expected! It's funny, usually I have an idea of which way things went after an interview, but this time I really do not know... They said they would let me know within 10 days. When are you expected on campus? I know I read somewhere on here that it takes 4 months to get all the paperwork for work visas, etc.
googlebrains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelingirl68 wrote:
Thanks to several people on this forum, what I expected! It's funny, usually I have an idea of which way things went after an interview, but this time I really do not know... They said they would let me know within 10 days. When are you expected on campus? I know I read somewhere on here that it takes 4 months to get all the paperwork for work visas, etc.

If I take the job, I must be on campus and report to work officially on Sept.1, though they said I can move into my apartment as early as June. It may be different for you: there may be training/orientation sessions if you're teaching in the prep school or the first year english program.... Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: