Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1st week in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrykt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking on behalf of the nightlife in Poznan... Poznan is alright with a pretty good selection of pubs and clubs. It's a good place to go to drink beer and talk. After being here six happy years, I am starting to miss the cultural variety I had while back in Seattle. I miss the big city. I am in Poznan to stay, but if big city life is what you need then Warsaw is probably the place to go.
dragulescu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how's it going now tumteetum??????????? Laughing Wink Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes
Tumteetum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the second week wasnt quite as bad - I managed to drag the other guys out on Friday and the night before I got in with a bunch of Polish Bikers who came into my cracking local wee bar (not hardcore bikers as theyd all driven there in their cars because of the snow!!). My local does great food/beer (Zywiec), proper tea, and shows Live EPL on Sunday - if I can get them to get Setanta for the SPL I think Id live there.

Ive got some good ideas of places to go and see now - Kracow, Zakopane, Wrocław and Poznan... so thanks everyone who replied (and cheers for the PM Martin).

I agree about the Zywiec Lucky - much better but for take home stuff I go for Tyskie ... the talking to myself hasnt stopped - Ive just been surprised to discover what a boring *beep* I am (self realisation in Zabrze!)

Heres to week 3 Laughing
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there last night and no there are not a lot of ex-patriots but there are a lot of tourists.

But then again I am not running from anything so if there are a couple of ex-patriots that is fine with me. Cracow is far from being another Prague.
XXX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the Poles a chance. You will find not a more party loving people. From name's days parties to all night cookouts to three day weddings, once you are their friends you will be invited. You will find that the living and teaching is much more pleasant than what you found in Korea. And the beer is MUCH better. I'll put Tyskie up against OB any day of the week!
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddy want poloand!~
guangho

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland good. Krakow good.
Nowhere-dong-gu bad. Nowhere-dong-gu mean.
Historia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I just got to Nowy Sacz and am the youngest teacher here. If anybody is close by let me know.
Where are some good places to go in Krakow? In search of some expats.
Cheers
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Tumteetum Reply with quote

How did things turn out for Tumteetum?
opie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: search high and low Reply with quote

I always remember my first DOS's advice when I came over here and that was to have a good look around as you'll be surprised as to what you find. I still find that the case and I've been here for 5 years. Students naturally are your best bet, ask them out and go on a pub crawl with them, I'm sure you have already. Hope it gets better for u. Zabrze ain't the prettiest of places though, there's still plenty of work in other schools in nicer places in Poland. So how was the 2nd week anyway?
Tumteetum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tumteetum Reply with quote

Seeker of truth wrote:
How did things turn out for Tumteetum?

Well I survived my first few weeks and had a pretty good time in Zabrze after all. Found, and still do find, Poles to be friendly really only after you get to know them, and once I got to know some I was in. I still have friends in Zabrze I keep in touch with and visit.

Im now in more salubrious Wroclaw and doing well, cheers.
Khrystene

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: WHAT WHAT?! Krakow a SECRET?! Reply with quote

Martin P wrote:
In what way is Krakow a secret? For heaven's sake, Easybloodyjet flies there, it's on the EuroRail FreeSpiritsAllGoToTheSamePlaces trail and it's stuffed full of ex-pats.

I'd have to agree. I love Krakow, but it's HARDLY a secret! FULL to the brim with tourists and foreigners, and for the most part, not the nicer ones [in My own personal encounters anyway].

Me, I'm off to Torun, definitely much closer to being the best kept secret in Europe/the world. Hm, perhaps I shouldn't tell you all, or else it won't be for much longer...

As everyone else has said, Tum, get out of that one horse town once in a while and see the rest of the country. Not only will it keep you sane, but it will also broaden your experience of Polska/polaccy.

As for guys who go to Poland to marry the women, it seems to be an industry of sorts... I will reserve my indelicate opinions on that one for another 3 sec blah.

Twisted Evil
wawel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1st week in Poland Reply with quote

Tumteetum wrote:
Im in a town called Zabrze in Southern Poland which seems to have only 3 other foreign teachers - 3 guys married to Polish girls and who here for that reason rather than intrepid travelling adveturers like myself - so no really one to go out getting regularly pissed with.

After my first weekend here and Ive started talking to myself in my 9th floor Castlemilk style housing scheme flat (which IM paying 700 zl for which seems way too much - although I think I pay extra for the Swastikas and SS graffiti scrawled over the entrance and walls outside).

As for Polish/Zabre nightlife; I ventured out last night hoping to meet some locals but maybe I wasnt really in the mood ... I eventually went to get some nosh about 11pm only to find all restaurants closed (except mr hamburger) - so I went home and drank some Warka and talked some more to myself.

On a positive note - Polish women make the place a bit brighter.

So far Poland seems bleak and kinda boring (compared to Koreas crazy excited liveliness at least). Heres to my second week and if its dull as my first Im going back to Korea.

You're in a bit of luck. The tram line in Zabrze runs into Gliwice. Gliwice actually has a decent square. The only negative with that is I think the last tram to Zabrze is about 11:20 but it's still ok there and I could be wrong, I might be thinking of buses. There were about 3-5 pubs I frequented while there. The women are great and I never had any problems. I haven't been there since November but there are a few native speakers that hang out quite a bit. I might be able to get you in touch with them.

Zabrze's got a great cinema and two pretty good malls. if you want more information or specifics, feel free to email me, [email protected]
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-patriots - used to love their country, now they hate it. Could be a reason that they are now expatriates.
gregoryfromcali

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd have to agree. I love Krakow, but it's HARDLY a secret! FULL to the brim with tourists and foreigners, and for the most part, not the nicer ones [in My own personal encounters anyway].

Me, I'm off to Torun, definitely much closer to being the best kept secret in Europe/the world. Hm, perhaps I shouldn't tell you all, or else it won't be for much longer...

Interesting how the number of other foreigners in a city decide whether you like it or not.

What's it like to give strangers so much power over your choices in life?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: