Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 1st week in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Loyd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madonna warned many years ago about:

''letting your pleasures depend on the permission of others.''
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Ex-patriot' instead of 'expatriate' is the second most annoying error in English.
Grrrmachine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the many errors perpetrated on this board, I would LOVE to know what the cardinal mistake is!
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to know. There are alot (sic) of errors and/or mistakes. English and it�s (sic) grammar are not familiar to many poster�s (sic).
guangho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mee no speakee Englishee, mee onlee teachee Englishee.
wawel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
'Ex-patriot' instead of 'expatriate' is the second most annoying error in English.

irregardless?
Ovid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wawel wrote:

irregardless?

That is actually the most annoying grammar myth. Wink

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless
MarkStevens

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone still cares, in reply to that question about where is good to go in Krakow:

-Pieckney Pies (sic?) on Sw Jana is a great laid-back lounge-type boozer. If you like bands like The Bad Seeds, The Specials, The Ruts, Blondie, the Clash, The Kinks, The Skids etc (like I do), it's perfect - drunken Polish people have been known to dance in the corner to such things. It has a great laid-back feel, although the bar staff can sometimes be a bit arsey.

-Re Club is one of my favourite cellar bars. Can't remember the name of the road, but get to the top right-hand corner of the square and take the road that runs off to the right. Look down the first or second turning to the right and you'll see the Re sign (and the Planty just beyond).

-Cafe Herzog, apart from being named after a demented German genius director, is a lovely little place in Kazimierz. Walk down Sebastiana and it's on the left on a little square. It has a parrot which talks, and a friendly owner. It doesn't have many punters, so give this man the custom he deserves.

-there's a really great boho-type bar near the road that comes in from Salvator and Jubilat, but the name of the road temporarily escapes me. I'll let you know when I remember.

-Sebastian Cafe on the same street is also a nice romantic place with good food. I'd avoid Carpe Diem, myself, and Pauza is full of pseuds and Hoxton-style nonces - 'Poser', more like.

... and everyone knows about Alkemia etc.

I live on the border of S. Miasto and Kaz. and have come across few expats, which suits me okay. Where they all at? I've heard a few UK accents about the place, but not enough to think they constitute some kind of 'community'. I also have yet to see any UK beerboy stag parties... thank you sweet baby Jesus, since one of the reasons I left London was to escape the unstoppable tide of chavs and other vermin.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's good in Warsaw?
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guangho wrote:
What's good in Warsaw?

Bar Below (Marszalkowska 64) is a good bar any night of the week. Tomba Tomba is the best club in town on friday and saturday nights.
Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Lolek.

http://www.lolekpub.pl/

the site is in English, too
Bialonoz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Shulgin wrote:

Bar Below (Marszalkowska 64) is a good bar any night of the week. Tomba Tomba is the best club in town on friday and saturday nights.

Tomba Tomba's sweet, if you like clubs. Lolek's lovely in summer. Bar Below however is spoilt by the bad attitude of the awful proprietor. Proof that bars are often run by people totally unsuited to that type of work.

Cynamon is nice though. Also Musa.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bialonoz wrote:
Tomba Tomba's sweet, if you like clubs. Lolek's lovely in summer. Bar Below however is spoilt by the bad attitude of the awful proprietor. Proof that bars are often run by people totally unsuited to that type of work.

Cynamon is nice though. Also Musa.

What?!! Niall has to be one of the best bar managers in Warsaw. Are you sure you aren't confusing him with somebody else? I've never heard a bad word said about the guy.
jaskas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: this may seem petty Reply with quote

i hear a lot about the polish ladies. i just have to ask. i lived in japan for 6 months in college, and these dorky american guys that could never bag chicks back home were getting these amazing japanese women. i, on the other hand, pretty much struck out entirely, whereas i can get mine back home. (I am a girl, by the way, 22.) Is Poland going to be the same story? Are the guys ugly and uninterested and the women, beautiful/baggable?

On an unrelated note, is it going to be completely isolating with very meager polish language skills? I hear rumour of no significant ex-pat community in Krakow... true?
cheeseandegg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: this may seem petty Reply with quote

jaskas wrote:
i hear a lot about the polish ladies. i just have to ask. i lived in japan for 6 months in college, and these dorky american guys that could never bag chicks back home were getting these amazing japanese women. i, on the other hand, pretty much struck out entirely, whereas i can get mine back home. (I am a girl, by the way, 22.) Is Poland going to be the same story? Are the guys ugly and uninterested and the women, beautiful/baggable?

On an unrelated note, is it going to be completely isolating with very meager polish language skills? I hear rumour of no significant ex-pat community in Krakow... true?

Let's start with the ladies. Polish women are beautiful in my opinion. That said though, they're quite conservative which means that for some they're still in favour of the old 'stop working when they get married' stuff. Some also have a tendency to cover themselves too liberally in makeup.

As for the men. I'm a straight guy so may not be in the best position to be a good judge but... they tend to be of the large, masculine buildwith skin-heads which I can't understand why anyone would find it attractive.

If you're in a big city (Warszawa, Lodz, Szczecin, Gdansk, Gdynia, Wroclaw, Katowice, Krakow, Poznan) then you'll be fine. Living in a small town though could be isolated even if you know Polish. Cities like Warszawa, Szczecin and Krakow have big English speaking communities (teachers, business people, shipyard workers [Szczecin], DJ's and the like]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: