Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got Dual Citizenship....now what?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvs_2003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Got Dual Citizenship....now what? Reply with quote

Hi! I just recieved my Italian citizenship today and am moving to Rome on July 10. I have a few questions on how that would work.

Right now I am registered to the AIRE in Boston and I know at some point I need to notify them that I am moving to Rome. Do I need to have a permanent address to do this? The other big question is whether or not I can get a Carta d'Identita' and a Libretto di Lavoro in Italy while being registered to AIRE. Thanks for any help!
Gregorio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS!! If you started this in December 2004 it didn't take very long for ya. I just submitted all my paperwork in early May and am waiting impatiently for my citizenship.

I can't help you with any of those questions, but I just wanted to congratulate you. I hope you can get your passport before you leave for Rome.
jvs_2003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I'm going down for the passport on Monday, so hopefully I'll get it before I leave. The Boston Consulate seems pretty quick, so I think I'll be ok. I will say that part of me going so fast has to do with the fact that I'm not working and I live close to Boston, so I was able to go into the Consulate often. Also, they turned my application in to Italy very soon after I gave them the paperwork, so I think some of it is the luck of the draw with which Consulate you have.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck to you!! By the way, my paperwork was submitted in May too. The only reason I found out so early is because I faxed the anagrafe in Italy where my papers were sent and asked them about it. I would suggest harassing them as much as possible!!
Gregorio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JVS... I have a question for you. I submitted my AIRE form with my citizenship application and all the documents because that's what the consulate (in Chicago) told me to do. On the form it asks where your last place of residency in Italy was. Instead of putting nothing, I put Pergola (the former home of my great grandparents), which is where I am registering my citizenship. I could have put down some of the places that I studied, but that didn't seem logical because I wasn't a citizen at that time.

Did you put down a place for this or just leave it blank? I guess I found it weird that they wanted me to fill out this form that is specifically for people who are already Italian citizens living abroad. Maybe it just speeds up the process this way?

If you have any insight I would like to know it. Thanks.

Greg
jvs_2003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gregorio....the Consulate filled that part out for me and they put Marino (the town where my great grandfather was born). When you are registered in AIRE at the Consulate, the town of your "residence" in Italy also registers you at their Anagrafe as being in AIRE. So in my case I was registered as a citizen and enrolled in AIRE in the town of Marino. Hope this helps!

If you want to have any insight as to whether your application is coming along, I would suggest you find the phone number, email, or fax for Pergola and send them something. I faxed Marino and they were prompt in reply and notified me this week (2 days after I faxed them) that my papers were in order. If I hadn't done so, I would never have known it was done so quickly. If you need help writing something in Italian to them, PM me and I can help you out.

Jess
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Jess. I am hoping that because Pergola is a piccola paese this process will be quicker than normal. We'll see. When I sent for my great grandfather's birth certificate, it took 28 days from the day I sent the request until I received the birth certificate. I thought that was pretty good turn around, especially since my bisnonno changed his name after he arrived in America.
jvs_2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Gregorio! Let me know if you have any success!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: