Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will I die of starvation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zorro (3)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Will I die of starvation? Reply with quote

Is 1800 euros a month enough to survive in Hamburg? Will I starve as many of the German EFL teachers who contribute to this forum appear to do?

Thanks
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pay all the taxes and pension payments, yes you'll be a bit peckish.

If you pay nothing, like most people, 1800 euro will be fine.
zorro (3)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hod,

If I worked for IH in Hamburg, do you know whether I would be able to avoid paying the taxes? I assume that working 'freelance' one may be able to avoid the taxes etc, but working for an organisation such as IH, perhaps it would be more difficult/impossible? I must say that I have absolutely no clue about EFL in Germany hence trying to pick your brains on here.

Your advice would be really appreciated. Smile
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh IH.

IH Hamburg offers only freelance jobs, and whatever that owner might tell you, you can work elsewhere too. Maybe someone else on here could say more about the law saying freelancers must have more than one employer.

IH also don't offer year-round work so your 1800 will be more like 1600 a month when you factor in the enforced breaks.

It's also freelance so IH aren't obliged to give you any work at all, so that 1800 figure depends how much work goes your way. Unless things have changed, he used to quote so many euros per hour (was a whopping 15 euros in 2003).

And how do I know all this? A few years ago, I was offered a job at IH Hamburg and walked out within a day after seeing my schedule and talking candidly with a few other teachers. Also, just my opinion - I didn't like the owner. He expected a hell of a lot for not much money.

And that's all I know about IH Hamburg. There's no real commitment on your part as it's a freelance contract. Saying that, accommodation in Hamburg isn't cheap nor plentiful, so if you're going to go through the hassle and expense of setting up there, make sure you like IH Hamburg - go and talk to its teachers first.
Paul-AK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does IH stand for?

I've been to Hamburg before, I'd like to work there, nice city.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH is International House. Heard of them ? It is an outfit that had a major role to play in EFL when some of you guys were still in the cradle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: