Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resumes that Hire!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
got2go

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Resumes that Hire!! Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions on who or how or where I can go to get a resume that will hire to work overseas!

Apparently, the resume that I have been using is not getting me ANYTHING! I MUST be doing something wrong, and it definetly starts with my resume! I need help!! Please!!!

Is there anyone that can provide us with a sample resume that was used and they were hired with it!

This is highly appreciated and I'm looking forward to your responses!
Gnome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate reading replies that rip apart the poster's ability to write emails. I find them petty and hateful. So, please accept my comments in good faith.

If you write your resumes and coverletters the same way that you wrote your inquiry, I would say you have a problem with spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.

Invest in a good Business Writing course before sending out any more resumes. Then you could add the ability to teach Business Writing to your resume and improve your English writing skills at the same time. You might also learn the ways of International English, not just American usage. This might also make you more attractive to an international employer. For example, "resume" is American, while "CV" is British and "r�sum�" is Canadian. It's good to show your future international employer that you understand the differences in English usage.

That's just my opinion. Hope it helps.
High Plains Drifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�m having a hard time seeing what you found so offensive. The last two sentences of the OP are poorly written, but they�re (barely) grammatical. A cover letter written in this sort of sloppy style wouldn�t impress me. I don�t see any punctuation mistakes, and there is only one spelling error (�definetly�). You couldn�t do any better in your reply (�cover letter� is two words).

And sure, being familiar with �International English� (whatever that is) is a good idea for anyone wanting to work abroad, but what�s the big deal about �resume�? Because the OP used �resume� you extrapolate an ignorance of �International English�? Would you have accused a Brit who used �C.V.� or a Canadian who used �r�sum� of the same ignorance? Actually, at least here in the Middle East, resume and C.V. are used interchangeably by Brits, Americans and Canadians (who do not, in my experience, normally bother with the accents).

That's just my opinion. Hope it helps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give a bit of practical advice... the key is to know what kind of teaching you are applying for and to emphasize what experience you have in that area.

For instance, many applications from the Far East emphasize all of their experience teaching conversation classes. If you are now trying to get a job in the Middle East, no institution is looking for conversation teachers. Most Middle East employers are looking for teachers with experience teaching Academic English to university students with the two important skills being reading and writing.

Also, be sure to make sure that your credentials match their listed requirements.

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me and I'll give you an email address you can send the resume to. I'll then look at it and see if I feel there are problems.

One thing you need to do is have more than one resume, depending on the type of job you are applying to. With computers this is fairly easy.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the problem may not be with the wording of the resume, but with your qualifications and experience per se. You may well be applying to the wrong jobs.
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: resumes Reply with quote

Make it easy to read. Clear headings, a bit of strategic white space, obvious differences between headings and the fine print.

Don't use twelve different fonts or exercise your artistic talents to such a degree that they overshadow the sought-after information. Don't write your life story or drip honey all over yourself. Stick to the facts: Where you went, what you did, where you think you're going. Use verbs, not adjectives. You can put more info in if you keep your presentation simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: