Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience needed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
desmondwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Experience needed? Reply with quote

My husband and I have our sights set on teaching in Italy this year, however, we are newly TESL certified and have found that most of the jobs posted in Europe call for "at least one years experience". Are there any new teachers out there who have found their lack of experience a problem when actually looking for work in Europe, more specifically, Italy?
Gregorio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What up D-Wolf? I completed a TEFL course in Rome in December and I think those Language schools say "1 year experience required" just to limit the amount of applications. I wouldn't let that discourage you from applying to any school.

The reason I say this is because I had offers from a few schools even though I had no experience, but once I told them I didn't have an EU passport, that was that. Actually, some were willing to employ me illegally, but I chose not to. If your TEFL school can give you a good reference you shouldn't have a problem finding work... anywhere in Italy.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience needed!
Forget it...there's loads of first time Teflers here....some with TEFL certs and some without.
All you need is a loud voice and a smile!
Mark a Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: no experience?...good luck... Reply with quote

...yes there are some schools in some parts of Italy willing to take those with no experience...but those are fast becoming few and far between...those schools are dying a slow death...in addition if they do take on just anyone without experience its a safe bet the money, work hours, area, or living conditions are just not that secure or pleasant...Just look at how many forum topics there are here with people asking about work in Italy...i.e lots of cheap and available labor to go around for the schools and that includes teachers WITH experience! Ok..Lets imagine Im a school director getting many C.V.s a day {and they DO get lots every day}...OK...now...do I hire experienced or non experienced...hmmmm which do I take? Italians {both school directors and/or clients} dont want, and more importantly, dont have to pay their good money for inexperienced so-called teachers anymore. Would you??? Sorry to bust the bubble guys but it just dont work that way anymore...Its a business folks! Apply all you like but unless you are willing to struggle a bit with and against all the other qualified and non-qualified well intended visitors/travelers/...and finally teachers, my best advice is to first save up some extra money...get some training/certification, get some experience teaching... somewhere... anywhere ...and only then your chances will get better in finding a decent job in Italy...Oh... and still keep the smile!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: