Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting stuff down here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: getting stuff down here Reply with quote

it may be too soon to think about this but thats the way I am.

I am really missing some of the stuff I left behind in the USA. Its in Tucson AZ, not far from the border and I would like to think of some cost-effective (read: as cheap as possible) way of getting it down (and back up later). What I want to bring would easily fit in a pickup, even a car if I cull it a bit. I will have an FM3 as soon as the paperwork is processed so import duty is not an issue as they are household goods.

The only option I thought of was to buy a vehicle when I go back to AZ for my next holiday and drive myself and stuff back to Toluca. I will need one when I return to the states in 2 years anyway. However, I am aware of some of the hassles of owning a car here. With an FM3, however, would I still need to go back every 6 months with the car to the States. I find that hard to believe.

If the above option is out, anyone have any other bright ideas? The companies I have talked to want an outrageous amount of money to transport stuff....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to read a brief but comprehensive article about bringing household items as well as a car across the border from the U.S. to Mexico, check out the site below.

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam11/moving_to_mexico.html
Wolfpelt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting article, Tim. Thanks for that.

Not a million miles off topic, what's the story when you arrive by air? I'm bringing a laptop, printer and scanner -- as well as a heap of non-fiction books.

Is this OK? Or do they still shoot intellectuals? Laughing

Wolfpelt
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: schtuff Reply with quote

I also need to thank Ben for the article. My understanding is that the lap top is fine. Most businessmen bring them. The rest of the stuff? Not sure. Probably OK as the printer and scanner are part of the lap top (but dont be surprised if they levy a duty on it) and I assume your books are in English and perhaps easier to argue that they are for personal use. but you never know in Mexico.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wolfpelt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze, Mexico ain't exactly a consistent ride, is it? Shocked

I promise I'll faithfully record my experiences when I hit customs and post them here -- for the benefit of those who come after us dontyaknow.

I suppose the universal rules apply though: don't look scruffy and don't wear shoes with tassels? Laughing

Happy trails

Wolfpelt
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Who knows? Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this OK? Or do they still shoot intellectuals?

- Wolfpelt

I'm not the intellectual type, so I don't worry much about that. Crying or Very sad

My airline travel experiences have been very limited since I moved to Mexico 8 years ago. I make annual visits back to the States, and it's always much more of an ordeal getting into the States than getting back into Mexico.

On the Mexican side, if you remember to smile a lot, be extremely polite, and don't become aggressive, things usually go a lot more smoothly. On the U.S. side, I've yet to figure out a demeanor that consistently works well.
Wolfpelt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who knows? Reply with quote

Ben Round de Bloc wrote:
On the U.S. side, I've yet to figure out a demeanor that consistently works well.

What about trying not to be French? Laughing

Wolfpelt
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfpelt,

Love your suggestion. Will try it in August and see how it works.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fly through either Houston or Dallas since my family lives in the middle of the country. I also lived in Dallas for about 4 years once. I found that affecting just a touch of a southern accent helps a lot. Laughing

Also I always, always, tell the agricultural folks that I need to be checked because I live in a rural area. For some strange reason they seem to really become more friendly to me after that. I guess cause they think I'm being up front and doing my part to protect the good ol' U S of A. It only takes a second to have your shoes cleaned and and they have some big scanner thing for your suitcase (mine has never needed to be opened, dispite the fact that it's always loaded with mole and dried chiles and jamiaca.)

madhatter, if you end up sending anything down, go with FEDEX rather than DHL or any other company, they've been more reliable for me and I believe that they fly in and out of Toluca airport, so you should get quick delivary.

If your interested, I can tell you my two-Gringas-in-a-car-bulging-with-stuff make a 5 day trek from Houston to Oaxaca story.

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: