Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turkey and the SARS scare.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manc47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Turkey and the SARS scare. Reply with quote

I was recently offered a position in Istanbul and had planned to report for work this week. Last week, however, I received an email from my new employer, informing me that they had been forced to withdraw their offer of employment - because the Turkish Ministry of Education had issued a directive prohibiting the recruitment of teachers from Hong Kong. I don't imagine that Turkish schools recruit from Hong Kong very often, so I find it a little hard to believe that the government would formulate such a policy. Could this be the case or is it just a crock?
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: It's a crock Reply with quote

Hi
Yes you have guessed right thats what it is a little white lie ,but why do you want to come to a place like Turkey when you can be somewhere like H.K ?
manc47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're assuming that I'm gainfully employed in Hong Kong. Actually, I was laid off on March 21st because of the SARS emergency and there is little or no chance of being recalled. Like most EFL'rs I'm not independently wealthy and have to eat.
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: there ain't no Sars here ,yet!! Reply with quote

Hi Mano47

I think as you said this so called directive sounds more than a bit fishy so how about trying another place over here in different cities not just Istanbul,maybe Ankara or even Izmir . Then if you get similar replies you know what to do .
richard ame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: there ain't no Sars here ,yet!! Reply with quote

Hi Mano47

I think as you said this so called directive sounds more than a bit fishy so how about trying another place over here in different cities not just Istanbul,maybe Ankara or even Izmir . Then if you get similar replies you know what to do .
manc47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard.

Thanks for that. By sheer coincidence I received a call tonight from another school in Istanbul and the person I spoke to had no knowledge of such a directive being issued. As a matter of fact, she had called to offer me a teaching job. I think that answers my question.
martha oral

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: SARS Reply with quote

This actually does not surprise me one bit and I would be willing to wager that it is also true. The Turkish government is very worried about SARS- so much so that my husband's trip to England may be cancelled simply because of the virus. Currently (they say) there is no SARS virus in Turkey and my guess is that they want to keep it that way.
Cheers
manc47

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, evidently.

I've since been offered a contract with another Istanbul school, so it sounds like the excuse given me the first time was just a load of bovine excrement.

Thanks for the input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: