Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where Are Pleasant Students?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Where Are Pleasant Students? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going back to KSA after a few years away. Life there didn't really bother me; I managed to have a good time. But the students I had....whew! Especially the military ones!

I'd like to go someplace where the students are at least not openly hostile to the teachers and perhaps moderately interested in learning. I've heard that KFUPM has improved quite a bit the last few years. Has it? And how about the other places frequently mentioned here, like the IPA, Aramco, and Vinnell.

BTW, how are salaries holding up at those places? Used to be that KSA jobs paid about 50% more than the same in the UAE, but I've seen HCT and UAEU paying over 10K and KSA jobs paying only 6K or 7K.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: IPA Reply with quote

Dear Tom Cat,
I can speak only of the IPA - here our students are good. Oh, they're not all geniuses, but it's very, very rare that you'll run into a trouble-maker or a total slacker. Salary here depends a fair amount on how much overseas experience you get credited with, at 350 SR a month for each year. The base salary ( MA, NO experience abroad ) is 7,500 SR a month. In addition you can get just about all the overtime ( they call it overload ) you want. The contract workload's 22 hours a week, but I usually teach between 30 and 35, at 123 SR an hour.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: ksa Reply with quote

The military jobs are generally the one with the worst stgiudents. Could be also that people want to avoid the military contracts, Vinnell, Raytheon, Aldefaa, British Aerospace, because they are more likely targets.

Money here is much the same as it was 10 years ago.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in a hospital and, almost without exception, the students, male and female, have been extremely pleasant.
Which isn't to say it's all been plain sailing - God, no! Many of the students are undisciplined and irresponsible, with a habit of going behind their teacher's back when it suits them. But still I would never say that they were not pleasant and polite most of the time. In fact, I can honestly say that I've met very few Saudis - full stop - who I would describe as unpleasant. Almost all of them are polite and amiable. I'm not neccessarily saying that they would stand by me in a crisis or anything like that, but generally, I find interactions with SAudis to be very pleasant.
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramco pays the most if you are Amercian about 17000 riyals a month but really anything less than 10000 I would not consider .
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High salary in saudi jobs is often found with high turnover. If you want to stick it out for some time it may be better to go for a job with a lower basic salary.

The best students I have come across are in KFUPM.
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with KFUPM is the salary is low about 10,000 max and with all those hols you are likely to not save much if anything.
They do have better quality students thou.
abudhabi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Affable students and cost of living Reply with quote

At Prince Sultan Uni the students are generally quite pleasant though fairly adverse to doing any study outside the class. The pay goes beyond 10K here, but most places (HCT, Uni OF UAE, MLI, PI) in the UAE beat them.

Compared to some on this forum, I don't spend much. I take all the holidays and still save over half my wage. My budget was 3500 riyals a month, but during the holidays that went up. I am married, no kids though.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: kfupm Reply with quote

The ggo thing about the long holidays at KFUPM is that you can work in the sumer if you choose - for extra cash. Overtime is also available during the semster..

In my experience places paying 17,000 riyals monthly have a high turnover of staff. KFUPM by contrast tends to hold onto staff much longer. And the students are okay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: