Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lots of questions...from a city-hater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwildfire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: lots of questions...from a city-hater Reply with quote

the first question is, can I get a job in some nice smallish town? Maybe in the Lakes region?
next: I am a 49-year-old US citizen with a Board of Regents BA (kind of like a general degree). I know it will be hard to get a job without certification, so I'm thinking about doing one of those four-week courses, perhaps in Mexico so I can brush up on Spanish (I'm about halfway to fluency) and have Spanish-speaking students to practice on--without having to pay for a flight (although it may cost me as much since I'm in WV). That would be good enough, right? I don't need to get a TESOL?
Some posts suggest a middle-aged person might have trouble finding work--do you think that's true?
I have no teaching experience, although I did a little bit of tutoring in Ecuador a couple years ago. My assets are being smart, at least in book-learning stuff, and having an excellent grasp of the niceties of grammar, etc--although no formal training. Another idea I've had is to do editing in English, probably for educated people who speak English fairly well but want to send fully correct missives.
Unrelated questions I would be appreciative of answers to: I'm thinking of moving permanently to Chile, buying land in the country there. I know foreigners can buy land in Chile, but would that give me the right to live there on it? What does it take to become a citizen?
And, where can I find terrain and climate somewhat like Appalachia--that is, hills or mountains, four seasons, rain all year (only with hot springs! Yes!)
One more---is it or isn't it true that Chileans are grey and dour people?
Mary
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Country life. Reply with quote

If it's mountains and rain you're after, head south to Puerto Montt. No mountain men a la "Deliverance", but the scenery's fantastic.
Chileans are very sociable, very hospitable people, but a Chilean friend of mine said you can't always trust them. You know how Latin Americans can be - promise the earth and fail to deliver.
I suggest you invest in an EFL qualification and waterproof clothing before you go there.
mwildfire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Grahamb. One thing I'm wondering: on the assumption that the coast of Chile is like a mirror of the North American west coast, I'm guessing that heading south toward Puerto Mott is like heading north past Oregon and Washington into British Colmbia or so. The trade-off is, as you go north you escape the barrenness of California's rainless summers, in exchange for depressing winters where it never STOPS raining. Is this about right?
You suggest EFL---my guess is that the on-line courses, while MUCH cheaper, would be less likely to get me a good job and to leave me feeling really prepared. I don't want to invest two years and lots of money in getting a master's---so I was thinking one of the 4 week courses would be good.
Also, as I'm not ready to leave right away, I'm thinking I'm a bit late for this year. Does that mean I have to wait till next February?
Mary
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Chile reception Reply with quote

Non-stop rain in winter? Hell, it rains all year! I left after only six weeks, but then I have an unusual aversion to the wet stuff. When the sun shines, however, it's quite breathtaking.
A 4-week, full-time CELTA/TEFL course is a good idea. If you'd prefer something less stressful, ask course providers if they offer a longer part-time course.
There are many things to consider before taking the plunge: a visa, accommodation, a cash cushion to see you through any lean times... Remember also that being a stranger in a strange land can be tough. , and that knowing someone who's already there would be a big advantage. How will you cope if you go there not knowing a single soul?
The academic year in Chile runs from March to December, so I suggest you hang fire, get qualified, get a few months' experience if possible (in summer camps, for example), and do lots of research. Watch out for vacancies on Dave's site and others such as tefl.com. International schools such as Berlitz might be prepared to interview you in the US. Having a job lined up in advance would make life a lot easier. For a range of opinions and experiences, look at the Job Information Journal, as it contains a lot of useful information.
One final thought: Mexico's a lot nearer home. Have you considered working there first? If you have to pack up and go home, at least it's a shorter journey.
matttheboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about Chile but in Argentina buying land/property doesn't give you the right to a visa or residence.

There is a scheme in Argentina that allows retired people and also those with enough income from rents, shares etc (about $800/month) to live legally in Argentina though. And if you're buying land for a business purpose, eg farming, then you can get an investor's visa, although that can take up to a year to come through. There may be something similar in chile.

If you do go ahead and buy then it's a really really good idea to take someone who speaks fluent Chilean Spanish along with you. In general Chileans are far, far more honest than in my favourite country in the world, Argentina (sadly waaaay down the list) for example and the least corrupt people in Latin America by far and also only one place behind the US and ahead of france and spain (see http://www.transparency.org/cpi/2004/cpi2004.en.html#cpi2004 ). But still, things are never like they are in your home country...and foreigners are seen as easy to rip off in any country in the world.

And do a CELTA if you're looking for a 4 week course, online courses are simply a waste of money. However, away from the main cities you may not even need any qualifications.

Good luck with everything.
flavoursome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: lots of questions...from a city-hater Reply with quote

mwildfire wrote:

One more---is it or isn't it true that Chileans are grey and dour people?
Mary

YES IT IS TRUE.

- never go to Temuco unless you want a reason for suicide.
Aramas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit late, but http://www.chipsites.com/ may prove useful. According to the section on visas, Chile is one of the easier South American countries in which to work legally - even if freelancing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: