Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

puzzled about low pay, "full time"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cordilleranevada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: puzzled about low pay, "full time" Reply with quote

so the standard here in Santiago seems to be:
-about $5000 pesos an hour, or a little over US $8.50 .
-only paid for in-class, actual teaching hours (not preparation time or time/transportation to off-site classes, unless they�re really out in the boonies).

Today I got offered an off-site class (at a bank - by "off-site" I mean at the contracting company�s location, not at the institute), 3 hours a week. It�s my first teaching job in Chile, so I�m starting off slow. But I�m spending hours preparing for my first class, which will be Thursday, for 1.5 hrs. This despite the fact that my pay this week will be $12.75, and next week $25.50.

O.K. So then I hopefully get in the swing of things and am teaching "full time" - that is, as much as the institute will give me/that I can handle. I�m assuming that�s not 40 hrs a week of classroom time, since that would mean giving me another dozen or so 3-hr-a-week classes per week and me running all over the city. Even if I did have 40 hrs classroom time a week, that would end up netting me about $340 a week, or $1360 a month. Am I right in thinking getting PAID for 40 hrs/week, whether I put in 40 hrs/week effort or not, is not going to happen? How many hours/week is considered standard "full time"? Can I expect, optimistically, to have 20 hours of classroom time a week? Say that was the case: I�d get $170 a week, $680/month. But, considering preparation time, it would still end up being less than $4/hr, if that. $170 a week? And I don�t think I�d even be getting 20 hours a week for a while - maybe 10 hours a week by next month? So for all of April, I can hope for $340?? $85 a week? who the hell works for $85 A WEEK? Yet this seems to be the standard. Fellow teachers, please explain - how do you live on such low salaries? Maybe if Chile was a super-cheap place to live, but it�s not!
(I hear private lessons are a lot better remunerated, but where do you find the time? Is it better to do private lessons only?)
So I�m not really sure why the reality of how low the pay really is just hit me, but I know that plenty of teachers out there work for these low wages, and I wanted to ask: how do you make ends meet? I know Chile is ch�aper that the US, but it�s still pretty expensive, and travel is pretty expensive too. I was hoping to do some traveling, not just spend month after month trapped in the city. Anyone out there working for these kind of wages find the time and/or money to travel much? Am I missing something here? Are English-teaching jobs all over the world this poorly paid? I mean, I wasn�t expecting to get rich or anything, I�m just surprised at how low the pay really is, and trying to figure out other people�s motivations. For the experience, I guess? Should I think of it like an internship or something? Sorry, I�m a little confused.
Thanks for your input, I�d really like to know what others think!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: