Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

anybody out there??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone post replies in this forum or just new questions?
portochuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Rio Reply with quote

Just my two cents....

I think Rio would be better......Pay...teaching gigs...surf...my nephew and my brother live there....(My nephews surf atleast twice a week if not more......And for you...(a canadian girl) the weather should be warm enough for you........even in the winter....when its about 75 and everyone has a coat on....
fragganika

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number one advice I�ve got for you:
BRING YOUR OWN BOOKS AND LOTS OF EM. Buy the best ones you know of. Buy fun games books, workbooks, etc. The pedagogical pickings are slim once you get there, even in Rio or SP. One thing to buy there though is a huge, expensive (about 80Reals) dictionary. Don�t buy the small popular ones. They�re always filled with erroneous idiomatic translations. They�re the reason lots of Brazilians say things like �I�m not with my car keys,� even after years of English classes.

Private lessons will get you far by word of mouth, as well as if you advertise in the local paper. Bulletin boards at gyms, rec centers, and friendly businesses will get you far there. Go to factories, lots are owned by foreigners, and corporations to sell your product. Keep in mind, they want it to seem possible to learn a good deal of English. Brazilians tend to be shy as students. You'll need to be like an ambassador in order to bring them out of their shells. Business gets done with huge smiles and pleasantries.

Most work is not contracted. If they ask about your visa, just give them a big smile and a vague evasion. They don't need to know about it unless they register you, and they won't want to do that! Most Brazilians have to fight to get contracts and registered anyway, b/c most employers always, always want to avoid the mandatory severance pay and bureaucracy involved with contracts.

Hourly rates should be about 15-20/hr at the schools, and higher for private lessons. Watch out for scheduling at schools, cause they don't pay a cent for breaks, even 15-30 minutes between classes that they schedule as such. It's also hard to get paid for prep time and materials can be scarce. I had the hardest time just making plain old copies at Wizard... but then again, it was a small town with an absentee owner.

For more info, check your PM's.
portochuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBS has great books....and teachers get 20% off...
fragganika

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are but aren't they just online? if so, she might not have a permanent address and last time I ordered books in Brazil it took a good 3 weeks to arrive.
portochuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: SBS Reply with quote

SBS...is online...and a Store.....The address should be online at
WWW.SBS.COM.br
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: