Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation of a map and a question about commuting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
munasa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:25 am    Post subject: Recommendation of a map and a question about commuting. Reply with quote

HK is a small place with a good public transport system, I know. I have been offered a position in Aberdeen, while my son hopes to be studying in Kowloon Tong. Before I received my offer, we were keen to live in Ma On Shan, but that would entail at least 80 minutes' commuting morning and afternoon for me. I am used to shorter travel times here in Australia. The 80 minutes is made up of several shorter legs by bus, KCR, MTR and bus. Would it be practical? Too long? Too exhausting? (Can anyone compare transportation in HK with the system in Seoul?)

A great map - in English - that includes a section where you can search for transportation is
http://www.ypmap.com/en/viewer.asp?mapService=LocationMap

A great site to see what kind of apartments are available, along with local area information is
http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp?

Munasa
arju

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: re transport Reply with quote

Hi you mention school in aberdeen and your son in kowloon tong, I guess you mean australian international school?
It may be useful for you to check on the interrnational schools closer to aberdeen there are many on hk island. It may be better for you live mid way between aberdeen and kowloon tong so that you son has easy transport and you do as well. If your son is going to aust school in koowloon tong then being close to the kcr will be quick for your son or a mtr that connects with kcr. Sheung wan near central would be mid way for both of your movements and has reasonable priced aprtments . Sheng wan is the last station on the island line, you could go to aberdeen by bus and your son could go to mong kok by mtr and change trains to the kwun tong line go 2 stops and be at kowloon tong about 25-30 mins travel.
I travel by bus and 2 mtr routes plus a 15 min walk that takes me 1 hour to get to my school at 8 am.
hope this is of use to you best of luck arju
ChrisRose

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my earlier post on the Electronic map of HK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: