Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Thailand worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bond

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Is Thailand worth it? Reply with quote

I'm new to the whole English teaching experience and I wanted to do somewhere a little different than the norm (i.e. Japan, S. Korea, China). Thailand attracted me of course for the beaches, sites, and food. My question; is the money that bad in Thailand that I shouldn't even bother (i.e I want to pay loans off and can I do that with a Thai salary?)

As well I've been checking things out and I've stumbled on Bell International in Thailand - any suggestions on whether they're worth applying too or are they trying to lure teachers with words and not dishing out (good salary, airfare, bonuses, paid vacation, etc). Anyone with info on this school or others would be great.

Cheers and thanks[/b]
petermc

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Thai salary Reply with quote

Thai schools prey upon people who are seeking to work in "paradise" .

Because alot of people want to go there, they can get by with paying low wages, while the schools operate at a great profit.

There won't be enough money to send back home to pay off your loans.

The weather is warm in Taiwan and you can make alot of money there. Travel to Thailand on your vacations or visa runs. Pay off your loans, save a bunch of money and then work in Thailand only when you need to earn pocket money.

Because that is all you can earn there.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: maybe not... Reply with quote

Yes, the salaries for teachers in Thailand are LOW, a situation that is not really compatible with having debts that need to be paid off. Sad

Don't know much about Bell's but they do seem to advertise frequently and to have ceased recruiting locally. Question
Bond

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info all!
PaulC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently Teaching in Daegu, in South Korea.... and I am quite seriously thinking of switching to Thailand.

I've visited Thailand many times before, and I'm well aware that the salaries are much lower than in Korea - but it depends on your perspective.

If you want to earn huge salaries and save loads of cash, then maybe Thailand isn't the place to go to, but to live well, and have a good life - I think that Thailand is hard to beat.

I have friends in Bangkok who have told me that it really isn't too difficult to find teaching jobs earning 60-70,000 baht per month.... but I haven't got details of where (yet).
gecko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:

I have friends in Bangkok who have told me that it really isn't too difficult to find teaching jobs earning 60-70,000 baht per month.... but I haven't got details of where (yet).

Anybody who tells you that it is that easy is lying out of their proverbial. It is possible but very difficult and you would have to work there a while before you got the right contacts and you would also have to be doing a fair few privates.

On the other hand, if you are qualified with a PGCE or a Masters in education etc. you could find a job in an international school without tyoo much hassle. They normally pay about 50-80,000THB and it woulkd be very easy to get privates that pay well.
PaulC

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect to get into that kind of salary straight away, and as you point out - it is most likely to get into that kind of position you would have to have the right contacts....

I actually have an MBA, but no formal teaching qualification - alhough I do have teaching experience in South Korea, so I think I would stand a reasonable chance of finding a reasonable job, with a reasonable salary.
gecko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the chance and good luck to you!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: