Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HCT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serafina

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: HCT Reply with quote

Anybody else get through the interviews with HCT and waiting...still waiting to be allocated to a school?
aikon8310

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they give any indication of where you might be going? What position were you interviewed for?
serafina

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: HCT still waiting Reply with quote

Just told to wait. Offered position of EFL teacher/ instructor. Initially told August start and then told nothing guaranteed - don't call us we'll call you basically. Is this the way they usually run things or am I a "special case"?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not you, it is the usual. This common situation is why HCT so often ends up scrambling around in September trying to fill the positions of people who gave up and took a position elsewhere instead of waiting.
serafina

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: HCT still waiting Reply with quote

Sound like you know what you're talking about veiledsentiments. If I wait what would you say my chances are of getting over there this year?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Serafina

It's tough to call because they can be pretty unpredictable and things change as the people in charge of interviewing change. I've known of people who had quit their jobs, given up their residences, and were practically on the way to the airport when they got a message telling them that the contract was withdrawn. This isn't common, but it has happened.

This long delay is common in the Middle East and I suspect that it has a lot to do with the fact that all hires have to get through a security clearance. Not knowing you, I have no way to predict how you will score on that one. Smile If you have been in other countries in the Gulf, they could be waiting for word from the other countries of equal bureaucratic slowness. HCT is also unique in that they check references and academic credentials.

I guess it all comes down to your tolerance for uncertainty. If I had any equally good offers, I might take them. But, if you are really keen on HCT, all you can do is show them that you are still interested with regular communication. What is 'regular'? Now that is a good question - use common sense. ??

All I can really do is wish you luck. I hope it all works out for you. Sorry not to be able to be more positive or definite.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the HCT colleges already have their quota of ESL teachers for the next academic year. Some do not. It's more than likely that if you hang in there, you'll get a definite post - and, to be fair, the package is one of the best in the Middle East.

well-travelled

Last edited by well-travelled on Fri May 23, 2003 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
well-travelled

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops
serafina

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: HCT...still waiting Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. I'll hold on for a bit and see what happens.
aikon8310

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

serafina,

I work in the HCT system and I put your case to some colleagues. While most of us were notified within 3-4 weeks of interview, some others were not contacted for 6 months. Staffing numbers are down, so I would expect you will hear in the vcery near future. Have you had any contact from them post interview?

Good luck. Smile
Randall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Interviewees waiting, and HCT advertising? Reply with quote

I find it very interesting that interviewees for HCT are still waiting to hear, yet HCT is now advertising on Dave's for teachers for this August!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe the ad is recruiting for the intensive English program. It is for some of the academic programs and their teacher training program.
Randall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching Opportunities: United Arab Emirates, August, 2003 and January, 2004

Posted By: Higher Colleges of Technology <[email protected]>
Date: Sunday, 1 June 2003, at 6:20 a.m.

We are currently recruiting to the following teaching vacancies:

English Faculty (TESOL)

This is the posting. Is it different than the intensive English program?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is their English teacher training program. Could be wrong, but I have never seen them recruiting EFL teachers with the label (TESOL). Their website may tell you more.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's for the normal English program - I too find it interesting that the person who began this thread is waiting to be offered a definite place while they are advertising for new staff.

Also interesting that the advert describes the job as a 'life enhancing experience'. There are more than a few teachers in that system who have fallen victim to the political/ personal machinations of certain supervisors/members of management who would not share that view!

well-travelled
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: