Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any jobs in India? Chennai?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodetta

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Are there any jobs in India? Chennai? Reply with quote

I had this impression that there were tons of jobs for teachers in India, and that more will be anticipated as more investment comes in for the post-wave reconstruction efforts. Would y'all agree?

I'm interested in working in Chennai, if not to help with relief/reconstruction efforts, then to teach. Anyone have any info?

Why are there only like 11 people listed on this forum? I'd like to know where you all are...

Vicki
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicki,

India has long been a nation where English is a major medium of communication. Its national law recognizes English as one of the two government languages (along with Hindi). There are an additional 16 languages other than Hindi and English that are recognized by the Indian constitution as official languages.

English is also widely used as the official language of instruction in higher-level (and some lower-level) schools. As a result, the need for foreigners to teach English in India is not very large at all. There are plenty of Indians who are extremely well qualified to teach English.

However, the so-called call centre industry is a new addition to the English-teaching scene, as companies want more Indian professionals who know the American variety of English and who understand American geography and culture.

For this type of teaching job, Americans are often hired. (There are also call centre jobs for which the British variety of English is the focus, and UK natives are frequently hired for those teaching positions.)
yodetta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: teaching in India Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. So, it sounds like there may be more a need for teaching American Studies, American culture, common idioms, and about social and political institutions...would you say that is correct?

I'm unfamiliar with the call-centre industry...what is that? Are you referring to out-sourcing of phone orders/billing inquiries etc by international firms?

Are you teaching in India now?

peace, Vicki
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several posts about call-centre jobs here on the India board. There are some Dave's posters who work in that industry and are in India now. They can tell you a lot more!

You can easily do a search... Good luck!
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

India exports English teachers though the quality is as variable as that of their manufacturing exports.

There is a small demand for native British or American speakers to train call-centre staff in colloquialisms and 'cultural' aspects.

There are also likely to be some vacancies in the call centres themselves as many like to have the odd native on call in case there are any problems. The pay is not great and the hours are appalling - so TEFL teachers will feel right at home :)
memorabilis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working in Bangalore for an IT support centre. The pay by Indian standards is excellent, but is not tremendous if you need to save to send home student loan payments.

To correct the idea of what the work is, yes there is an element of teaching about North American culture (I'm Canadian), but more specifically we focus on a pronunciation-based approach to develop a neutral accent that is understandable to English speakers around the world. Virtually all Indians speak English to some degree.

To work in this field of English for Occupational Purposes, you need at least a BA, a TEFL, and 2 years of teaching experience, but I would encourage you to apply regardless if you are interested.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to PM.

MacArthur.
Beast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Living in Chennai Reply with quote

If you are planning on working in Chennai you would be well advised to get a job before you come and make sure they provide housing. Almost every inhabitble place I have checked into requires a six month deposit. Or you could stay in a flop house hotel until you save up enough money.

Fortunately, my company pays housing and it's ina good part of town. However, their lease on the gudst house id up in a week or so and they won't help with new housing. thus, no place to live so I guess I will just leave and be glad that i am done with it.
pattyrose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject: Jobs in Chennai? Reply with quote

I really enjoyed my stay in Chennai working for the Center now posting positions open. Certainly, there were issues getting the program on its feet, but if I had a chance to do it again, I'd say yes in a flash.

Indians are hard workers and as friendly a group of people that come. There are lots of things to do in Chennai besides shopping, too Laughing Getting around town on auto rickshaws is part of the fun - and last year the American Embassy threw an absolutely fantastic Fourth of July party at a gorgeous resort on the Bay of Bengal.

You need a degree for most any position in India, because Indians themselves are well-educated. Most of the employers will assist with housing placement or provide temporary or long term accommodations.

If you can be flexible about air conditioner breakdowns, power shortages and water rationing, then go for it. These occasions come up regularly, but are all part of the fun of being there.

I'll never forget the wonderful people I met.
guangho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you go about finding and contacting individual software and hardware companies?
pattyrose

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: India jobs - Chennai Reply with quote

Most jobs are posted at places like Monster.com in India
travelingirl68

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Software Companies Reply with quote

If you are interested in working in the IT industry, the monster.com recommendation is a good one. If you are interested in working as a Language Instructor at one of the companies, look for Spectrum as it does the recruiting for Microsoft in Bangalore - the best outfit to work for in our field in India.
Andror

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Indians speaking English, yes it's true..but you only need to watch National Geographic to see that subtitles are needed when Indians are speaking English in order for native speakers to understand them.

Not trying to be harsh here. Good work guys, keep working on their phonics.
jammish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon the best thing to do to teach in India would be to get QTS and look for something at an International School.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
English is also widely used as the official language of instruction in higher-level (and some lower-level) schools. As a result, the need for foreigners to teach English in India is not very large at all. There are plenty of Indians who are extremely well qualified to teach English.

An interesting tidbit is that in areas where foreigners would probably want to live Mumbai, Delhi, Varanassi, etc., probably more people can speak English than read Hindi. In these tourist areas people don't go to school but learn English on the streets. I have met a lot of people who can speak English but cannot read Hindi or any language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: