Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperate plea for summer jobs...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Bowles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Desperate plea for summer jobs... Reply with quote

Hello all

I've been looking for summer teaching jobs in China- but so far very few summer camps have appeared on the internet. It just occurred to me that many middle schools, universities, colleges etc. have some form of lessons running through the summer, and might want EFL teachers. Has anyone out there got a way of contacting a load of schools directly, or maybe currently work at a school which would want teachers in the summer?

I'm sure there's a huge untapped reserve of schools out there- although I'd understand anyone's moral problems with gaining from students' summer-lesson misery...

Happy everyday
David, in the UK
Bertrand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Avoid EF English First China Summer jobs at all costs Reply with quote

It should not be too difficult to find a Summer job in China; simply place your email address at somewhere like tefl.com or teachinchina.com. Believe me, the offers will begin to clog up your inbox! Two points are worthy of attention, however:

a) Do NOT expect to be able to arrange such employment now; everything in China happens at the last minute.

b) Avoid AT ALL COSTS Summer employment with EF English First China; you will be contracted to teach up to 29 REAL HOURS PER WEEK, P L U S another 11 hours of placement interviews, 'promotions', etc. per week The latter will be anything from going to local middle schools trying to brainwash students into thinking they must spend 1000 Yaun (at EF) in order to even so much as gain a foothold on the English language, to fishing for paperclips with magnets in a local supermarket or even giving a 'demonstration lesson' out on the street. There is no upper limit on hours per day in the EF contract as such; rather all it states is that work may be arranged for between the hours of 9am and 9pm (though you will frequently be told you have lessons that finish as a matter of course at 9.15pm and that in order to get to promotions that begin at 9am on Sunday morning you must meet at the EF school for transportation there by, say, 8am). Think about these hours: I know of brainwashed members of the EF cult who - on both Saturdays and Sundays - have a kids lesson from 9am to 11.15; another at 1pm to 3.15pm; another at 3.30 to 5.45pm; and yet another from 7pm to 9.15pm. That is no less than 8 kids lessons in 2 days. Believe me, your day off (EF runs a 6-day week unlike schools and universities, most of which have a 4- or 5-day week) on the Monday will not be utilised to travel around the area local to your school but to sleep and only sleep.

Get yourself into a decent middle school or a university for the Summer period and you (like me) will earn the same or maybe 1000 Yuan a month less than the mugs at EF but you will teach in a month what the members of the EF cult must teach in a week, and you won't have to do anything other than teach English (i.e., no interviews, demos, or promotions).
megs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some addresses:

http://www.chinatefl.com/summer/hz03.htm
http://members.aol.com/eduexchange/teach_in_china.html

Good Luck!

Megs
zacharybilton

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Desperate plea for summer jobs... Reply with quote

David Bowles wrote:
Hello all

I've been looking for summer teaching jobs in China- but so far very few summer camps have appeared on the internet. It just occurred to me that many middle schools, universities, colleges etc. have some form of lessons running through the summer, and might want EFL teachers. Has anyone out there got a way of contacting a load of schools directly, or maybe currently work at a school which would want teachers in the summer?

I'm sure there's a huge untapped reserve of schools out there- although I'd understand anyone's moral problems with gaining from students' summer-lesson misery...

Happy everyday
David, in the UK

Few universities have summer terms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: