Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UGRU flight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Gawain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: UGRU flight Reply with quote

Seems to me that everyone in the hallways are ruminating about leaving the chicken coop for better feed! Rumours had been flying around UGRU about possible jobs in other ME countries with pay that actually reflects today's economy. Would anyone like to confirm?

Sir Gawain
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile in other parts of the ME the word is that jobs at UGRU are wonderful !

Truly, the grass is greener over the hill.
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Gawain, what hallways are you hanging out in? The rumor in the hallways I frequent at UGRU is one of a significant pay raise in the very near future. And where in the ME are these people thinking about going? Really, I'm curious. From what I've read on this forum and from people I know working all over the Gulf, I don't see much better than UGRU out there, to be honest. The grass is pretty green where I'm standing.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnocchi,

A significant pay rise? Do tell!
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-ching!, The problem with rumors is that they never give details and this one is no different. I'm hearing things like "all government employees are getting raises soon" and "because the Dirham is pegged to the Dollar, they have to raise the salaries because the Brits are really taking a beating" things like that. I don't have exact figures, but I know in the past when raises were given at UGRU, people were very happy with them. I promise if I hear any exact numbers mentioned, I'll let you know!

Going back to the original post, I'm really not hearing things like "I'm leaving this coop for the Bahraini promise land" or "Oman! Yep, there's gold in them thar hills." But, to be fair, there are a lot of teachers at UGRU and I certainly don't know them all and what money problems they might be having. I'm still curious as to what other jobs they are looking at in the ME-is there better money, living and working conditions out there (all in one package)? I looked long and hard before taking this job and I'm still convinced I won the "EFL Lottery". Maybe things have changed. Please let me know.
whatgoesaround

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnocchiman wrote:
I'm still curious as to what other jobs they are looking at in the ME-is there better money, living and working conditions out there (all in one package)?

Once you get to the top shelf, it becomes a matter of what kind of students you prefer, what city you want to live in, what sort of career opportunities you see, etc.: Finding a good match and fitting into the culture of the workplace. There are no across-the-board better deals than UGRU, but there are a lot of competing deals: Zayed U., PI, HCT, MLI, AUDubai, AUSharjah, ADNOC, ABC in Qatar, KFUPM, etc.

Remember, too, that many places offer different packages for people with different levels of education and experience, so someone with a BA + CETEFL-A might have reason to prefer a place that someone with a MATESL might shun.

FYI, some universities in KSA are offering amazing amounts of money, but they make you live and work in KSA. Wink

SQU continues to be a beacon to some who crave comforts other than money and the siren song of the Emirates...
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
FYI, some universities in KSA are offering amazing amounts of money, but they make you live and work in KSA.

I don't know of any universities that are offering amazing amounts of money in KSA. In fact university pay is generally fairly low, though other conditions do help to make up for it. But as far as I know UAE universities actually pay more than Saudi, though I do know of people coming back to Saudi from the Emirates because there was too much to spend your money on in the Emirates.

Most of the good pay in Saudi is with the military or with Aramco.
playtapus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGRU sucks. It's all a facade.

Since UGRU started in 1990, only one raise has ever been given. In the fall of 1998, for the first time UGRU couldn't hire enough new teachers. HCT had always had substantially higher salaries, and that fall, Zayed had just opened offering salaries equivalent to HCT. In the fall of 1999, UGRU upped their salary range to about 2,000 - 4,000 dirhams a month more than what the current teachers were making. We were told in the spring that we would be given raises in the fall 'but not to be upset if the raises weren't as much as the new people were making.' September came and went, no raises. Every month we were told, it'll definately come next month, and it will definately be backdated to September. Well, the raise didn't come until April, and it wasn't backdated. My raise was one of the highest given. Were we happy? Hardly. Morale was at an all time low, even lower than the previous all time lows. Of course, the extra money was appreciated, but by my estimates, the university cheated me out of over 19,000 dirhams by not backdating our raises.

Meanwhile, had I been at HCT, my salary would have been approximately 2,500 dirhams a month more than I was getting at UGRU even with the raise. HCT gives standard yearly increments, UGRU doesn't. Some of those teachers who came in at top salaries in 1999, are making exactly the same now. Most teachers who were given raises in April of 2000, are making exactly the same now.

If raises are given at UGRU now, they will not be significant because the starting salary is still competitive with other universities in the UAE. If you are coming for the long haul and expect to save money, you are better off at HCT or Zayed. After two or three years, inflation eats away at your saving capacity if you stay at UGRU. Management doesn't care what is happening to the dollar or how much money you can save. As long as they can recruit and teachers stay, they have no reason to give you more money.
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Gnocchi, I've been very satisfied with the financial aspects of working at UGRU.

What I hear in the hallways is that the salaries at HCT are indeed higher, but you have to work much harder for your money. The life-work balance at UGRU is more agreeable. My grass is nice and green, too. Very Happy
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further back up what Ka-CHING! said, the HCT teachers I know both in Al Ain and other cities here work do work a lot more hours than we do and have shorter holidays and never seem overly happy about it. Also, I've heard from friends who work at HCT that the "much higher pay" is somewhat of a myth. For some reason there are those at UGRU who believe that all those who work at HCT start at the highest salary level, which is indeed higher than UGRU's. However, most don't and therefore their salaries aren't that much higher than ours on average. What they do have, in Al Ain anyway, is much better housing-or I should say "equal housing"--so, UGRU isn't perfect, but "sucks"???

Playtapus wrote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, had I been at HCT, my salary would have been approximately 2,500 dirhams a month more than I was getting at UGRU even with the raise.

So, I take it you eventually applied for this and are now working at HCT making the big salary. Or have you moved on to someplace else?
lionbrian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: My grass has always been green! Reply with quote

HEY BOYS!

Stop snatching each orher. In my humble opinion, both UAEU & HCT contracts are excellent. Of course, there are some differences, but who cares! First of all, you chose to work for those places.

If you are not happy about yout positions, WELCOME TO KOREA. I will definitely give you a BEAR HUG at the airport, hook you up with "tons" of privates (by the way, prices go from Am $ 40 to 50 an hour) besides your full time job!

P.M IF YOUR GREEN GRASS IS TURNING TO RED RED RED! Embarassed
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lionbrian,

You were being sarcastic, right? Smile

I agree about the $50 an hour on top of your job, but did you fail to mention living in a crappy apartment, making a mediocre salary, dealing with fractured confuscious thought, boring food, large portion of the expat teachers first time away from home and whining about everything, employers that care little about education...etc, etc

Though I guess one can't complain about the miniskirt trend that goes on in the winter time, if you like that sort of thing... Smile
lionbrian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Turtilepi1! Things in Korea have changed!!!! Reply with quote

I am really sorry if you had a bad experience in Korea Crying or Very sad (made a mediocre salary/lived in a crappy apt/no privates/did not like food in Korea/met the wrong teachers). Also, just to let you know that so far (In my 8 years), I haven't experienced anything like you have described.

2.4 Million/Month for 12 classes/a week
Prestigious school (Top Science school in Korea)
Live in 34 pyongs apt (3 bedrooms)
TGI Friday's/Outback Steak House/Bennighan's/VIPS/5 star hotels are a walking distance from my house.
Round trip to my country every year/ 4 month-paid vacation/ Privates A GO GO/
Oh! By the way, I live right near the most beautiful beach in the country/ WHAT ELSE! I guess there is only a very slim minority of teachers who made it. I AM ONE OF THEM~ Laughing

Mini-skirts & more baby! NO TCHADOR OR COVER! Thanks God!
Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh! By the way, I live right near the most beautiful beach in the country/

Not really saying a lot for Korea. Laughing
lionbrian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hey Gordon! Reply with quote

What else do you want Mad Shocked ????????? Beach/ money/ Time to study/ No sexual frustration at all? Treated very nicely & with respest/ Lots of travelling (min 3 times a year)/ Good old buddies/ Gyms/ Time for publication/ Potential savings AND THE LIST GOES ON!!!!!!!

How about where you live???? Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: