Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Average salary and benefits in Greece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Average salary and benefits in Greece Reply with quote

First of all I apologize if this question has been asked a thousand times. I've looked through a number of threads on the 'Greece' pages but haven't stumbled across anything to answer my query.
Here goes...

What is an average salary and benefit package for qualified ESL teachers in Greece? By qualified I mean post secondary University educations, Tesol cerifications and 4 + years of teaching experience in Asia.
Also how many hours per week of actual classroom contact time would be considered normal in return for said average salary and is there any chance to teach adults instead of kids?

Here in Taiwan you are almost 99% guaranteed to be teaching kids as it's a real booming market so everybody and their brother with a few sheckels in their pockets is opening English Language schools to cash in, adults are a very, very small percentage of the mix.

OK, I reckon that's enough for now.
Thanks for your patience.
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hard to talk about an average, as it depends on where you are and what your position is. I left Greece three years ago and the school I was working at offered me �15 an hour to stay. That seemed an incredible offer at the time, and I doubt many too many teachers at frontistiria get that currently, and from what I understand cost of living has gone up much more than wages have risen.

To be honest experience outside of Greece won't count for a huge amount, nor will qualifications above a first degree and basic TEFL course, as the Greek ELT system is quite individual and it takes a few years to build up a reputation and contacts to negotiate a good wage. If you arrange a job through an agency you'll generally get free accommodation plus something around �800 after deductions. The benefits are about two weeks' wages extra at Christmas and Easter, plus a similar kind of settlement fee when they 'fire' you at the end of the school year (as all schools do - it just means your contract runs out and they won't give you a new one until the beginning of the next academic year). There are no other benefits to speak of normally. But after you've established yourself somewhere you can start drastically increasing your pay demands if you make yourself seem indispensable. There's a lot of teaching kids but in big cities you can avoid it completely - normally adults are at B2 level and above, perhaps having had a few years' break from studying English.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Last edited by yamahuh on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacheringreece wrote:
If you arrange a job through an agency you'll generally get free accommodation plus something around �800 after deductions. The benefits are about two weeks' wages extra at Christmas and Easter, plus a similar kind of settlement fee when they 'fire' you at the end of the school year (as all schools do - it just means your contract runs out and they won't give you a new one until the beginning of the next academic year).

So would 800 Euros be considered enough to live and save a bit on?
That equates to about $1200 Canadian which is about 2/3 of what I earn in Taiwan. I pay for my own apartment and utilities and still manage to save about half. Would it be reasonable to assume that with housing paid you could save 300 - 400 Euros a month?

Are return flights generally reimbursed?
teacheringreece

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd have a job saving that much. It depends where you live, though. If you're in a small town with not much to do (i.e. not much to spend your money on) then maybe. It also depends on the kind of lifestyle you want - if you're happy to just have one drink when you go out in the evening instead of several, and you don't eat out for lunch every day and so on then you might manage it. Greece really isn't the kind of place you go to for the short-term to save money, but it is possible in the longer term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: