Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

African country with little English and low expectations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katja84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: African country with little English and low expectations? Reply with quote

An odd title for a post, perhaps, but I'm just curious of what countries (apart from the Maghreb) you would recommend for a non-native, not qualified, English teacher?

I reckon teaching in former British colonies, for instance, may not be a good idea for a non-native speaker as they may be more likely to expect more genuine accents? Likewise, I do not have a formal teaching qualification, so it would need to be somewhere that doesn't mind this? I would like to teach high school-aged students or above, preferably somewhere a bit out of the way.

I'm fluent in English, have a very slight accent, have one year's teaching experience from a university in China, and have done a one-year part-time intermediate TESOL course. I will have a BA from the UK before leaving to Africa.

I know this is a very broad question, but I don't know anything about the African market for English teachers, so before researching further I'd just like to know if there is any chance at all of getting a job. Any information at all is much appreciated Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: