Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing a cat to Abu Dhabi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglwhite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Bringing a cat to Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am set to leave for Abu Dhabi the end of June. I wish to bring my cat with me as she is my little princess. However, I have been told conflicting information about this. The Consulate told me that as long as the princess has her shots and certificates from the vet together with an import form, she will not have to be in quarantine. The airline told me she will have to be in quarantine for 2-6 months no matter what. If it makes a difference, I am arriving from Canada. Does anyone know? Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search of the board, you will find that this has been asked a number of times. Search this section and the general Middle East section.

No problem!! Many have done it.

VS
mglwhite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Bringing a cat to Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Thanks veiled sentiments. I appreciate the help
lucy k

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread earlier, but here it is again:

I did it, and it was quite easy, and they barely checked any of the paperwork when I came through the airport. They just had a quick look at the kitties (I had two) and one paper and waved me through.

You just need:

1. Kitty passports (i.e. a record of vaccinations, etc.)
2. A letter from their vet saying they are healthy
3. Microchips
4. A certificate of import from a vet in U.A.E.

I guess the main thing is getting the microchips (which no one in customs actually checked, but they are technically required to have it).

Good luck!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucy,

When I read that I got curious...

How would someone who wants to take their cat (and presumably same for a dog) find that UAE vet for the certificate of import?

It might be good to have that information here for anyone doing a search in the future.

VS
lucy k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very good question. But here's the catch....
They weren't my cats. I was actually taking them to a friend who moved to Abu Dhabi. She left the cats with me in Istanbul for a couple of weeks, and then I took them to her. Therefore, she did all the paperwork on the UAE side (i.e. the certificate of import). I took care of the microchips and letter from the vet on my end here in Istanbul.

However, as far as I know, there were two main vets in Abu Dhabi who dealt with the certificate of import, a British vet and an American vet. I believe my friend got all of that information from the school she works for. And actually, as I was researching the topic of moving pets, I came across some pretty detailed information about it on the Zayed University web site. So, I would say look on the ZU website or check with an employer, as I'm sure they've dealt with it before.

Sorry I don't have specifics... but I hope this helps somewhat! Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lucy... I suspected that it might be something that had to be done by your new employer - or at least with their assistance.

VS
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Thanks Lucy,

When I read that I got curious...

How would someone who wants to take their cat (and presumably same for a dog) find that UAE vet for the certificate of import?

It might be good to have that information here for anyone doing a search in the future.

VS

Dear VS:
It's actually very straightforward. You have the health certificate faxed (or scanned) and sent to the Vet or a representative of yours in the U.A.E. (I can only speak for Abu Dhabi) and take it down to the British or American Vet. Clinic and have them take it to the appropriate ministry for issuance. This can take a few days, but not many. You then collect the import certificate yourself and meet you party at the airport.
Here's the catch, you have to get the certificate to the authorities inside the airport where it is restricted. The way you can overcome this obstacle is to hire the marhaba service and have them meet the people as they are coming off the aircraft or allow the vet to do this for you (for a fee, of course!). Hope this helps.
lucy k

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit different for me, since I was bringing the cats for a friend already in UAE. But my friend sent the certificate of import to me by UPS, so I came through the airport with it myself. The guy at customs was a bit surprised that I had it, but it wasn't a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: