Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living in Camb for teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kelpie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Cost of living in Camb for teachers Reply with quote

Hey guys...

Im a Vietnam long timer looking for a change. I have a small income from home, so in Hanoi I kinda work just about 6-8 hours a week and that covers the basics (food, rent), and my money from home pays for extras like travel...air tickets what ever...

Think I can do more or less do the same in PP?
Ive been to Camb twice, once as a backpacker 4 years ago, and last april just for a week. Oh yeah, no degree, but Im an ok teacher sometimes.

thanks,
Mark
anospi

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A *decent* apartment in Phnom Penh is anywhere from $80 to $150 a month. Things you need to bear in mind here are security, noise, and of course, location. Some apartments are furnished, and others (the cheaper ones) generally aren't.

Working 6-8 hours a week? Lets say you earn $12/hour, which is unlikely, but we'll assume your good. That's a maximum of $100 a week. $400 a month. I think you need $10/day on average to live here. Buying your own food at the markets doesn't necessarily work out cheaper. You have to bear in mind that Cambodia is more expensive than Vietnam because most things are imported here. So, $300 for a month on food and transport, plus additional expenses, plus rent - argh! I think you might struggle.

You will need to spend time checking out the schools if you come here, because even though every one wants a native English speaker, many are very dodgy. Schools close down all the time, and I've met many an unhappy English teacher.

Good luck!
bluffer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have that amount of free time, why not get a degree from a good uni by distance learning?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: