Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with school info!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtsmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: help with school info! Reply with quote

Hello, i was wondering if anyone has had any experience teaching at Sea Cross in bangkok. they are offering me what looks like a pretty good position - 32000 baht a month with 2000 towards accomodation. they are also offering to take care of my visa requirements. i would love to know if anyone has any experience, good or bad, teaching there. any information you can lend would be much obliged!

thanks for all the help!

Gtsmith
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Sea Cross Co., Ltd Reply with quote

Hello Gtsmith:

Just be aware that Sea Cross isn't really a school per se. They are a recruiting agency - who will place you in a particular school offering xyz benefits, salary, etc. If you browse around a little on the various forums, you'll see that people have differing opinions about going through a recruiter; some positive, some negative.

Anyway - here's a direct link to Sea Cross Co., Ltd: http://www.thaiemployer.com/
gtsmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

yeah, thanks for the info. i didnt even know they were a recruiting agency. but it sure helps. thanks for the web site.

all the best,
gtsmith
mr.bojangles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it much easier to find an ESL job higher than 20-22 000 bahn if I have a degree with experience?
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.bojangles wrote:
Is it much easier to find an ESL job higher than 20-22 000 bahn if I have a degree with experience?
Yes.
mr.bojangles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: ooops! Reply with quote

Typo!

I was thinking of the hours 20-22/wk.

The salary is 32 000 baht.

Is this reasonable, or can I do better?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: straight talk about salaries Reply with quote

Q1.1: What is considered to be a good TEFL salary in Bangkok?

A1.1: It can be difficult to say exactly - since each of us has unique and highly personal ideas about what 'good' means. We have different lifestyles, different hobbies, different shopping & spending habits, and differing ideas & expectations when it comes to personal travel, the size and location of the apartment we live in, how often and where we socialize, where, what & how much we eat, etc.

Having said that, there is a general consensus that goes something like this:

under 30K Baht - not so good Embarassed

30 to 32K Baht - fair Confused

33 to 35K Baht - average Wink

36 to 38K Baht - decent Smile

39 to 41K Baht - good Razz

42 to 45K Baht - comfy Very Happy

46 to 50K Baht - great Cool

above 50K - easy street Mr. Green

note: If a private apartment is included in your contract package, this can be worth 4 to 7,000 Baht.

Today's $$$ exchange rates: http://www.krungsri.com/eng/50/511.asp Bank of Ayudhya

PS: For me personally, 40K is the magic number. That allows you 1,000 Baht per day for food, entertainment and transportation, 7K for rent and 2K for utilities & mobile phone. If you add that up for any given calendar month with 31 days, you'll come up with 40K.

(On salaries under 40K, it's not too hard to 'top up' to 40K with a few good privates!)

Note that if you live according to the above scenario, you'll save ---> nothing. Twisted Evil

I pay only 4K for rent, so I usually have a little left over.
kenkannif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ More you get the more you spend. I struggle(ish) on 70K!Now if only I earned that amount Wink
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: hi kenkannif Reply with quote

^ Your wife has a credit card, eh? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: