Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any experience with the Hobby School in Mongolia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoonbender

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Any experience with the Hobby School in Mongolia? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a first overseas teaching assignment, and I've contacted teh Hobby School in ulaanbataar. Does anyone have any experience with it?

jim
bnix

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: First Assignment in Mongolia?Really? Reply with quote

Are you on the level or someone trolling?Why do you want to go to MONGOLIA for you first assignment?I have never heard of Hobby School.But then,I have never been to Mongolia.If you are on the level,good luck. Smile
spoonbender

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, i'm serious. it sounds like a good place, but i was hoping someone had some experience with the school.

has anyone ever heard of it?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: mongolia Reply with quote

Mongolia is tough. Why choose that for your first teaching job ?
moi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking at teaching in Mongolia. After reading the replies to this post, I can't help but wonder: why do you think Mongolia is such a touch country for teaching?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: mongolia Reply with quote

Okay, don't believe me. Go there and experience for yourself the horrors of Mongolia on a miniscule salary. Do yourself a favour and go to China, Japan or Taiwan for your first trip outside Kansas.
Steiner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: mongolia Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Mongolia is tough.

moi wrote:
Why do you think Mongolia is such a touch country for teaching?

scot47 wrote:
Okay, don't believe me. Go there and experience for yourself the horrors of Mongolia on a miniscule salary.

Scot, I don't think that really answered moi's question very well. I fail to see the compelling argument. "Because I said so, stupid!" isn't a very convincing reason to avoid Mongolia. If he/she was challenging you, it certainly was not overt and a more helpful response would have been to provide information, anecdotes, contacts, links to helpful websites, etc.

I mean, come on! It's the guy's first post ever.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:08 am    Post subject: hostile Reply with quote

The universe is hostile kiddo !
Better for newbies to learn that in the safety of cyberspace than on the streets of Ulaanbaatar !
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: mongolia Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Do yourself a favour and go to China, Japan or Taiwan for your first trip outside Kansas.

Taiwan for the first trip? NO. NOOO!!! I've worked in Korea before and found Taiwan extremely difficult!
But I'm sure it beats Mongolia....
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: mongolia Reply with quote

You see that I am not alone in saying that Mongolia is not a good idea for a first timer.
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Scot,Let's pack Him Off to Haiti Reply with quote

Scot, let's have the original poster get some experience in Haiti before he goes to Mongolia. Smile If that is not enough experience, maybe we can send him to oh,say,Chechenya(are there any good private schools in Grozny? I have heard they are, like ,WAY COOL,DUDE! Laughing Laughing )Never mind all of those Russian tanks. Just tell those Russians you are a TESOL teacher and you are practicing "teaching" in Grozny so you can ultimately go to Mongolia.I am sure they will turn the tanks around and leave.Who knows?Maybe someone will even nominate Mr.Original Poster for the Nobel Peace Prize."Only a TESOL teacher...but he brought peace to Grozny."
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, for chrissakes, the poor guy just wants some feedback on Mongolia. Imagine he was your kid brother or something. I have never been to Mongolia, but having binroundtheblok a bit I imagine it'd be a toughie for a newcomer (unless he or she has a lot of travel experience) because it is very poor, very remote and very different, etc.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: let him figure it out Reply with quote

If he can't figure it out for himself, let him go an have a look at Ulaanbaatar. Chances are that he won't be there long.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

I'm with Marcoregano on this one.
Jim, I'd say you're much less likely to run into serious trouble if you go to Mongolia with an experienced organisation that can offer you professional and medical backup.
VSO is looking for volunteers to teach English there. Have a look at their website, vso.org.uk
If you do head out there, let us know how you get on.
moi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Mongolia tough? Reply with quote

I don't know about the OP but I've been teaching for some time now (also in China and I have visited Mongolia. So I do know what I'm talking about and I'm still thinking about going there. And yes, VSO is one of the options.

So basically what you're saying is that Mongolia is tough because of the low wages and because Ulaan Baatar is not the most exiting city in the world. That still doesn't sound very tough to me. So any further ideas/comments on why Mongolia is tough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: